Enforcement of 200 gallon rule?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luckily I only make 199 gallons a year. And my neighbors are direct beneficiaries of my efforts. :)

Nothing wrong with giving it to family and friends. You will have to explain this.

TTB, The Personal Use Exemption

Under Federal law, any adult may, without payment of tax, produce wine for personal or family use under regulations in 27 CFR § 24.75, which provide the following:
•The individual must follow applicable State and local laws.
•The individual must be 18 years of age or the legal age to purchase wine in the locality, whichever is older.
•The individual may produce, without payment of tax, per household, up to 100 gallons of wine per calendar year if there is one adult residing in the household, or 200 gallons if there are two or more adults residing in the household.

"•The individual may remove wine from the place where it is made for personal or family use, including use in contests or tastings."

•The individual may not produce wine for sale or offer wine for sale.

I read this as for your/family consumption. Note the "remove from the place where it's made". Doesn't say for friends use, only family or contests.

For what it's worth, my opinion is, I would not advertise anything on a public forum!!

Last edited:
TTB, The Personal Use Exemption

Under Federal law, any adult may, without payment of tax, produce wine for personal or family use under regulations in 27 CFR § 24.75, which provide the following:
•The individual must follow applicable State and local laws.
•The individual must be 18 years of age or the legal age to purchase wine in the locality, whichever is older.
•The individual may produce, without payment of tax, per household, up to 100 gallons of wine per calendar year if there is one adult residing in the household, or 200 gallons if there are two or more adults residing in the household.

"•The individual may remove wine from the place where it is made for personal or family use, including use in contests or tastings."

•The individual may not produce wine for sale or offer wine for sale.

I read this as for your/family consumption. Note the "remove from the place where it's made". Doesn't say for friends use, only family or contests.

For what it's worth, my opinion is, I would not advertise anything on a public forum!!

Well if they want to harass me for giving wine to friends I guess they can do what they want.

Good thing it's unrestricted where I live no?:try

I wish it was that simple.

Servers are in Texas. I have to try and operate under Texas law as a consequence. I';m sure no trouble would come of it, but agencies will contact me, I'll tell them off. They'll come back with some sort of warrant, I'll fight some more.

Really, abiding by the law keeps me from having to tell Uncle Sam to mind his own business, but of course I don't have to do that if you're not posting in the community that you broke the law.

I wish it was that simple.

Servers are in Texas. I have to try and operate under Texas law as a consequence. I';m sure no trouble would come of it, but agencies will contact me, I'll tell them off. They'll come back with some sort of warrant, I'll fight some more.

Really, abiding by the law keeps me from having to tell Uncle Sam to mind his own business, but of course I don't have to do that if you're not posting in the community that you broke the law.

Feel free to give them my IP address so that they can come arrest me in Canada.

You might be surprised to learn that not all jurisdictions operate under the same rules.

I would never post about breaking the law on a public forum. After all, we all know that people posting on forums always tell the whole truth (and nothing but!).

I do get your point that you don't want to deal with this BS (is it ok to swear in Texas?)....

Last edited:
Feel free to give them my IP address so that they can come arrest me in Canada.

You might be surprised to learn that not all jurisdictions operate under the same rules.

I would never post about breaking the law on a public forum. After all, we all know that people posting on forums always tell the whole truth (and nothing but!).

I do get your point that you don't want to deal with this BS (is it ok to swear in Texas?)....

First off, I'm not giving anyone's IP address freely. I'll fight that.

I understand jurisdictions are different. Laws are different other places. Unfortunately the US Government doesn't care where you're at till they find out about it. They will contact me all the same.

I ask a very simple thing. Make more than 200 gallons? Don't post it. Murder someone? Don't post it. Either way the feds come knocking on my door and I can live without it.

I ask a very simple thing. Make more than 200 gallons? Don't post it. Murder someone? Don't post it. Either way the feds come knocking on my door and I can live without it.
No cryptic implied-homicide posts either??!! Man, this forum is just no fun anymore. ;)

I can honestly say I have made well over 200 gallons of wine every year now since 2010. All you need to do for making that much is get a license to do so from the TTB and in my case the State Liquor Authority of New York. If you want to make more than 200 gallons all it takes is a dedicated lockable winery and storage room, the proper bond, background check, fingerprints, full financial disclosure , several months lead time. adequate equipment and knowledge, diagram or blueprint of the winery and storage, and so on and so forth. Nothing to it. Of course don't forget adequate bookkeeping, reipces, label approval, insurance marketing and on and on.

Please count your blessings you can make up to 100 gallons for a single person or 200 gallons for two or more (over legal drinking age of course). That really will give you enough to drink so please don't push the limits!

I can honestly say I have made well over 200 gallons of wine every year now since 2010. All you need to do for making that much is get a license to do so from the TTB and in my case the State Liquor Authority of New York. If you want to make more than 200 gallons all it takes is a dedicated lockable winery and storage room, the proper bond, background check, fingerprints, full financial disclosure , several months lead time. adequate equipment and knowledge, diagram or blueprint of the winery and storage, and so on and so forth. Nothing to it. Of course don't forget adequate bookkeeping, reipces, label approval, insurance marketing and on and on.

Please count your blessings you can make up to 100 gallons for a single person or 200 gallons for two or more (over legal drinking age of course). That really will give you enough to drink so please don't push the limits!

Having dealt with the NY SLA a bit over the years (on behalf of clients), I would say you pretty much nailed it. Piece of cake. Oh, and just as a little side note, make sure no money transfers into or out of any of your accounts involve anyone that might, well, fail a background check. Oh, and btw, the SLA is known to padlock shops, so you show up and can't get in your own place. So, just make sure you have somewhere else to sleep. And be sure to have in your Rolodex (or whatever people call it any more) the names and phone numbers of some former SLA members who are now in private practice. They, um, know the ropes.

They should require that kind of onformation on our politicians and judges!

I have not gone over that amount in years. Only because I have been busy with other project. Think I will be a lot over this year cause its only February and the fermenters have been full sine New Years

Back