End Post source

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lead is not automatically in zinc, its part of the smelt process it was used to settle impurities to the bottom during hot dip then also helps clean them out of the kettles.
No galvanized pipe in the usa manufactured after 1986 has lead in it.
Zinc thats lead free is used in many many applications.

You indicated that using galvanized pipe for end posts was a bad idea because of the lead content.....
Its unlikely to be an issue....

I will agree that using lead pipe would be a horrible idea.....for several reasons....but i doubt anyone would try it and be very successful and tensioning so its likley a mute point......

No sour_grapes,
Maybe I should have worded my message better! Like my original post. Maybe I should have stated "to ask for non treated poles!" Maybe I should not have assumed that everyone would know to ask for non treated poles" I work for a utility company and we have as many non treated poles as treated. A lot of treated poles are only treated part way up! Huge difference in prices! Anyway we just give them away when we replace them! We had a local guy take 20 poles, cut the treated bottom half off and still had 20 20' poles that he used in his small vineyard.
:b

Last edited:
Back