End Post source

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ct Winemaker

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,
Looking for a source for end posts in the North East Connecticut area. Turning out to be a little more difficult to source than I expected. I would like round wood posts preferably 6 inch (or more) in diameter, by 8 ft long. The small Vineyard we are planting this spring will have 9 rows about 70 ft long, so I need 18 posts to start.

Home Depot and Farm supply have posts, but they are smaller than I would like (about 4 inch diameter).

Any suggestions on where I could find these.

Thank you very much!

Have you tried posting on local classifieds? Especially in the farm section. I know around here I could easily find cedar log fence posts that way.

Deffinitely wouldnt hurt to post an ad stating exactly what you're looking for.

Try a fence supply / installation company, or a locally based farm or lumber supplier. Big retail like Home Depot or Tractor Supply only sell the basics and most used sizes. Also every 'emergency' fence post I have bought has rotted out again in a couple of years. When I went to the real fence place, never a worry. Better stock.

I was able to get 6" round posts from Tractor Supply when I built my vineyard 5 years ago. They were 8 ft long.

H

I used metal posts, they are big heavy steel posts that probably weight 150-200 pounds each not even joking, had to hire someone to come pound them in with heavy equipment. Absolutely rock solid and will never rot.

You might check with your local electric Cooperative. Sometimes they replace poles and will sell cheap or even give away the old poles. Then you can cut them to your desired length.

Last edited:
You might check with your local electric Cooperative. Sometimes they replace telephone poles and will sell cheap or ever give away the old poles. Then you can cut them to your desired length.

A lot of the older posts being replaced were treated with Creosote which leaches into the soil. Probably not the best thing to have near the vines.

Yes sometimes! Then again a galvanized pipe can contain lead!

Last edited:
Not to create an argument.....but any galvanized pipe old enough for the zinc to contain lead is likley too rotten to use for posts... they quit manufacturing it with lead zinc along time ago......theres still some in use but its old...
I know if vinyards with old RR ties as posts....they have no issues..

Not to create an argument.....but any galvanized pipe old enough for the zinc to contain lead is likley too rotten to use for posts... they quit manufacturing it with lead zinc along time ago......theres still some in use but its old...
I know if vinyards with old RR ties as posts....they have no issues..

RR Ties have creosote and/ or arsenic as well as treated poles. Get non treated poles.

Last edited:
RR Ties have creosote and/ or arsenic! I have several 10' lengths of new (old) Galv pipe that is coated with almost pure lead

They do mist likely contain creosote......and possibly trace amounts of arsenic ....but I don't see how this is relevant to end post use. Don't lick em and you'll be alright...they won't likely bother the vines much......theres lots and lots of vinyards that have them in use.....if they killed plants...they wouldn't use em....

On the pipe.... in have to ask how do you actually know it has lead on it? Much less coated in pure lead......

They do mist likely contain creosote......and possibly trace amounts of arsenic ....but I don't see how this is relevant to end post use. Don't lick em and you'll be alright...they won't likely bother the vines much......theres lots and lots of vinyards that have them in use.....if they killed plants...they wouldn't use em....

On the pipe.... in have to ask how do you actually know it has lead on it? Much less coated in pure lead......
Just because the Arsenic doesn't kill the plants doesn't mean it's not in the grapes?

https://www.google.com/search?q=how....22964j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=1

Last edited:
Bottom line....any galvanized steel pipe manufacured in the US after 1980-86 does not contain zinc coating containing lead....its unlikely that most of us have access to 35 + year old pipe...

Pure lead pipe isn't likely to have the rigidity needed for end posts....its brittle like ductile iron...

lead is not purposely added to galvanizing baths, rather it is an impurity in zinc. .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back