End of the year kit review!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chateau Joe

Snowbelt Fermenter
Reaction score
Ok, with 2009 coming to a close, I thought it would be fun to have a best and worst kit of 2009 thread. What was the best/favorite kit and which kit was your least favorite or a dissapointment.

I'll Start

My favorite kit for 2009 was the WE Meza Luna White kit. I was amazed at its quality and body for a lower priced kit.

My least favorite kit was a WE World Vineyard Italian Sangiovese. It just did not live up to my standards for a sangiovese. Very weak flavor.

Joe:

I gotta ask how old was the Sangiovese when you drank it?

I don't have a best kit of 2009. The best wine I tasted for the first time in 2009 was a kit from 2008. But Wade (and others) don't like me mentioning these Canada-only kits (RJS Hightail Washington Merlot).

Steve

Since most kits age in 6 months and drinkable in a month if you want to you can try lots of them ,thats what I like about them .Since i only started in Oct i haven't made alot yet but did bottle a Cranapple holiday chardonnay put out by Orchard breezin that is delicious not a strong alcohol level but really good taste ,we bottled a Liebfraumilch by Wine expert Selection series that will get better with age but already tastes great .Tomorrow we are bottling a French sauvignon blanc also a Wine expert kit Vintners reserve world vineyard collection I can't believe I haven't thiefed any of this one to try sample yet . So this thread will be helpful for picking new wines next year ,although everyone has different tastes it's still helpful .
I was thinking about starting a thread about what kits people plan on trying next year or what wine of scratch people plan to do .

Ok, with 2009 coming to a close, I thought it would be fun to have a best and worst kit of 2009 thread. What was the best/favorite kit and which kit was your least favorite or a dissapointment.

I'll Start

My favorite kit for 2009 was the WE Meza Luna White kit. I was amazed at its quality and body for a lower priced kit.

My least favorite kit was a WE World Vineyard Italian Sangiovese. It just did not live up to my standards for a sangiovese. Very weak flavor.

I'm SO sad to hear that you didn't like the Sangiovese....I JUST bought this kit. Not started yet but please tell me what you would have done differently. Should I experiment with adding some more juice to it?

I have often considered making a kit solely for the purpose of keeping it in a carboy to top off other kits with.

Darren

I did not like the color nor did I like the taste. The kit will be a year old in February but still tastes weak. Maybe I set my expectations too high for a lower end kit but they can excellent too. A Vintners Reserve Kit won Winemakers Magazines best in show in its class last April so anything is possible. I just did not like this kit. If you want to try a very good World Vineyard kit, get the California Zin/Shiraz. I really like that one and I have it going in a carboy right now.

Latest posts

Back