End oF MLF into Barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve_M

All things wine!
Reaction score
Wines are just about through with MLF, how long after that racking do you wait if any to introduce wine into your barrels?

No need to wait at all. Most commercial wineries do their MLF in the barrel.

Cool! Hope to see first barrel time in a few more weeks.

If I have empty barrels, I move them at first racking. Mlf, finish of primary, the barrel doesn't care!

Took chromo test by Prospero Grape had the expert Alfredo there give me his opinion and all but one is ready! CH-16 is now my go to MLB thanks @JohnT
Next week will begin barrel aging.
We have a 23L Vadai, and a total of 56 gallons of wine. I know I won't be able to rotate all carboys through in one year, so have decided to split what goes into barrel and what will be aged in carboys with oak sticks.

I rack after primary, then do mlf in the barrel.

If it is a new barrel, taste regularly. I only let it stay in a new Vadai 50l for about 3 months. The next fill is longer of course. Have fun.

I rack after primary, then do mlf in the barrel.

If it is a new barrel, taste regularly. I only let it stay in a new Vadai 50l for about 3 months. The next fill is longer of course. Have fun.

I do the same. Sage advice to taste the wine frequently; I've over oaked a few wines and was quite disappointed.

Plan is to begin tasting after 2 weeks on first wines in it. Will go from there on whether we rotate or go a bit longer. After that pretty much same thing getting a few more weekends in each round.

Back