"End" of 1st fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mico1984

Hello everyone!
Reaction score
Is there any way to determine when the primary fermentation is complete other than measurring the SG? I'm thinking since most of the sugars are converted to alcohol the bubbling rate of the airlock will deminish, right?

It will diminish and then it will stop all together.
And then the wine will clear.

And when it has cleared it is ready to bottle.

To be frank, I never measure ending SG.

I (and I will be flamed for that) only look for visual signs of fermentation.
My experience tells me if a wine has finished, and until now I never have mistaken.

Luc

It will diminish and then it will stop all together.
And then the wine will clear.

And when it has cleared it is ready to bottle.

To be frank, I never measure ending SG.

My experience tells me if a wine has finished, and until now I never have mistaken.

Luc
I just mean primary fermentation. My kit says to wait 5-7 days and SG should be 1.01 or less. On day 6 it was 1.30 on day 7 it was 1.21 today is day 9 so I'm assuming I'll be able to rack soon and I have noticed the bubbling rate going from bubbling every 5 seconds a few days ago to 10 seconds. I was just wondering if there are any other signs that would say “go ahead move the wine to a carboy” without checking SG since it is a pain to clean and sanitize the equipment every time.

Luc

I hope no one flames you for offering up your methods.But I do want to point out that if you dont check with a hydrometer (or some other way to check for residual sugar),you dont know for sure if your wine has completed fermenting or not.

Mico the only way to know for sure (per your kits instructions) is to use your hydrometer.But if you dont rack at exactly the "right" time doesnt automatically mean your wine will be bad.

Racking a wine too early can cause over flow problems in a carboy from too active a fermentation still going on.Racking too late "may" have other problems show up like h2s.Sterlizing your hydrometer can be a PITA ,but you are also seeing the signs and smelling your wine too as you check it.All that is important to you to help see the wine thru to a good completion.

Mico, Keep a spray bottle of sterilizing solution on hand then all you have to do is spray whatever you are using then give it a rinse. It is alot faster than trying to get the solution ot of a jug to sterilize things every time you use them.

Back