Encapsulated Yeast Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s0615353

Reaction score
For those of you who have used encapsulated yeast before, I am planning on trying the BA-11 strain for a Canadian Vidal Ice Wine that I have preordered from my LHBS. Is bentonite necessary to help settle out any proteins/stray yeast/etc. or is it pretty much clear after fermentation since everything is kept contained in the alginate? Also, should I still use sorbate afterwards to hinder any wild fermentation since it will have considerable residual sugar and low alcohol, or is everything removed in the mesh bag?

Earlier I called Morewine, and they said that even with the two layers of alginate there is still a small amount of haze/stray yeast after fermentation. They recommended using a half dose of bentonite beforehand, or a half dose of a clarifier such as isinglass, chitosan, etc. afterwards. They also said to follow the same regime of sorbate and sulfite at normal levels to make 100% sure it will not continue to ferment since those are some hearty yeast strains.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back