RJ Spagnols En Primeur Winery Series - Italian Amarone Style

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a current kit I have doing an EM. In fact, it just got locked down today. Everything in the bucket is what started out in primary. Essentially it's still in primary during the EM process.

Attachments

• 166105463173882031115921991421.jpg
    166105463173882031115921991421.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Here is a current kit I have doing an EM. In fact, it just got locked down today. Everything in the bucket is what started out in primary. Essentially it's still in primary during the EM process.

thank you. It's currently sealed (did that today also) and bubbling happily. Don't know how long I will let it go but as long as I can see positive pressure in the airlock I will be patient and see if I can go at least a couple of weeks.

thank you. It's currently sealed (did that today also) and bubbling happily. Don't know how long I will let it go but as long as I can see positive pressure in the airlock I will be patient and see if I can go at least a couple of weeks.
Nothing says you need to do an EM. You can also just stick to the 14 day in primary and then move to secondary/clearing stage. Any particular reason you are doing EM?

The kit I'm running EM on is due to the fact that I'm leaving town. EM fits my work/life schedule better. I for one cannot say that there is a definite benefit to EM. I think a person would need to do a side by side comparison to truly know if there is any enhancement and what it entails. Also, I don't think anyone in the EM camp could tell you with any amount of certainty that EM is ALWAYS going to make a wine better. There are too many variables and every wine is going to be different.

Last edited:
so if it's in the bucket and sealed you just leave it there? you do not rack it off the lees/oak chips/raisins and skins?
Correct. If you follow the directions from Finer Wine Kits, seal when the SG is between 1.020 and 1.010, then open and rack at Day 14. This allows fermentation to fully complete.

EDIT: Once again, my phone didn't show posts after the one I answered, so I duplicated @Brant's answer.

Regarding EM, I'm not sold on doing longer than the 14 period specified by FWK. Most of the flavor, color, and aroma is extracted during the first 2 to 5 days of extraction -- this levels out fairly quickly. This info is from numerous sources.

Tannin continues to extract during the full length of the EM. According to what I read, EM of up to 90 days is used in Burgundy to make very long aging wines.

Which begs the question -- how long do you want the wine to age before the tannins settle?

Most of my heavier reds need 2 years of aging before really being drinkable, and those wines are typically very good for another 5 years. That works for me.

Last edited:
that sounds better, and what I will do. The RJS instructions say to rack in 6-8 days when the sg is 1.020 or below. This is only the second kit I have made, hope to try a FWK zinfindel later but I did just look at their Instruction booklet and It looks very informative.

that sounds better, and what I will do. The RJS instructions say to rack in 6-8 days when the sg is 1.020 or below. This is only the second kit I have made, hope to try a FWK zinfindel later but I did just look at their Instruction booklet and It looks very informative.
Some kit instructions have you rack after the first week. This first rack is technically going into the secondary fermentation vessel. On the kits that say to rack to secondary in the first week, I personally don't believe there is any consequence by staying in primary for 2 weeks. In my opinion, racking early it's just adding another step that introduces oxygen to the wine (albeit the wine is technically still fermenting so its far less relevant than later in the process).

I think most people on this forum follow a 2 week primary protocol (or longer for EM) regardless of kit instructions.

From my internet research, the 6 week EM seems to smooth or mellow the tannins and make the wine taste like it has been aged longer then what it has. Or at least that seems what I am reading. This guy seemed to explain it well. This being my first kit I don’t have any experience to either way. I figured it had to age anyway so might as well try it.

How do I train my nose and taste buds to smell and taste all the aromas and flavors a wine offers like this guy?

Last edited:
so if it's in the bucket and sealed you just leave it there? you do not rack it off the lees/oak chips/raisins and skins?
If I have skins I normally rack after 3 weeks. I also take the lid off about every other day and push the skins down with a sanitize spoon to make sure they are fully making contact with the juice.

Unusual pet peeve.

In a day and age that allows people to make new pronouns out of nonsensical words, I for one will give @winemaker81 a pass on this one.

Honestly, the phrase "begs the question" is probably misused more often than not. I would bet that 95% of the population doesn't know the correct usage. I definitely did not- but that doesn't mean much. 😆

D
Unusual pet peeve.

In a day and age that allows people to make new pronouns out of nonsensical words, I for one will give @winemaker81 a pass on this one.

Honestly, the phrase "begs the question" is probably misused more often than not. I would bet that 95% of the population doesn't know the correct usage. I definitely did not- but that doesn't mean much. 😆
Does this discussion beg the question that everyone misuses the phrase, begs the question?

If this is also incorrect, I obviously didn't learn anything. I'm better with numbers than words. Barely 😉

When would be time line to bottle this Amarone wine. I started it in July. Been on oak since Aug. I usually try to bottle around 10 months. Does that sound about right?

When would be time line to bottle this Amarone wine. I started it in July. Been on oak since Aug. I usually try to bottle around 10 months. Does that sound about right?

That's about the timeline I go with for this kit. And then try not to drink any for at least six months.

Last edited:
D

Does this discussion beg the question that everyone misuses the phrase, begs the question?

If this is also incorrect, I obviously didn't learn anything. I'm better with numbers than words. Barely 😉
Hmmm, I never knew BTQ abuse was a controversy. In fact I don’t ever recall hearing it used any other way than as Brian did. I listened to a podcast recently about how language changes. It is the nature of language to change. Otherwise some of us would be saying thee and thou and some would be speaking Latin.

Bottled 29 1/2 bottles of my Amarone that I started last July. I got to sample the 1/2 bottle and it is yummy. It should only get better as it ages in the bottle longer.

Attachments

• 2269C010-17D9-413E-85E6-687E36A3AB12.jpeg
    2269C010-17D9-413E-85E6-687E36A3AB12.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • A43AC152-D803-432D-9FE0-F5E1628B5AD3.jpeg
    A43AC152-D803-432D-9FE0-F5E1628B5AD3.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 6F5293C0-98CB-4C28-96FC-592E128CCCA3.jpeg
    6F5293C0-98CB-4C28-96FC-592E128CCCA3.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 8ACFB32D-03BB-422C-B964-C8CA7B9A40C7.jpeg
    8ACFB32D-03BB-422C-B964-C8CA7B9A40C7.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 8C33588A-450B-4C91-81A7-F4A69938B6F9.jpeg
    8C33588A-450B-4C91-81A7-F4A69938B6F9.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
Bottled 29 1/2 bottles of my Amarone that I started last July. I got to sample the 1/2 bottle and it is yummy. It should only get better as it ages in the bottle longer.
Makes me thirsty looking at those bottles and glass.

All I could find in Canada was RJS Cellar Master Platinum amarone... Anybody know if this is similar to the RJS En Primeur amarone?

imageService

It's in Primary fermentation now. Says to leave it in primary for 14 days, but stir every day or two. Came with French oak chips and grape skins. Any tips to make it better than the instructions?

Makes me thirsty looking at those bottles and glass.

All I could find in Canada was RJS Cellar Master Platinum amarone... Anybody know if this is similar to the RJS En Primeur amarone?

imageService

It's in Primary fermentation now. Says to leave it in primary for 14 days, but stir every day or two. Came with French oak chips and grape skins. Any tips to make it better than the instructions?
Every one told me to try the extended maceration. So I left it on the skins for about 6 weeks. Might want to check into that. In post #89 has some videos I posted how it is suppose to help. If your did not come with raisins I would add a cup or so.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back