Empty Carboy Storage Ideas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete1325

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea for an empty carboy storage unit? I have, though the years, collected my fair share of Carboys. Now I have a dozen or so and would like to see some ideas for storing them. please post if you have some pic to share.

It depends what space you have available. Cover the opening with plastic wrap stack them in the attic with something to serve as "bookends". Build a rack hanging down from the ceiling in your basement or garage and store them on their side out of the way.

Personally I like Dawg's approach. 🙂

If you have a bottled water company nearby, they use self-locking plastic crates that stack (they each have a lip that keeps them from sliding out) on their sides. You can stack them as high as space allows and protects each carboy. These will allow you to pull/access each one without having to move or change anything. This will allow you to mix 3, 5, 6, 6.5 gallon carboys as you need. I’ll look for pictures. I’m looking but the closest bottled water company is in Charlotte, an hour away.

I keep mine in plastic crates but they are far more basic than the version Marc Olivetti cites. I don't store them on their side so I cannot stack them high but I have enough room in my basement (AKA wine room and cellar) to pack them along a wall

I have used old style milk crates to make it easier to move full carboys around. Never tried stacking empty ones on the side like that.

I have about a dozen milk crates. Hmmm... I wonder if they are big enough for my carboys.

I just bottled 6 carboys of wine and now they are in my way and thinking of how to manage them before filling them with spring Chilean juice.

Latest posts

Back