Empty Carboy and pending Storm

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry0220

Reaction score
Last week I looked at my two empty carboys, waiting to be filled. Today I figured it was a good day to fill them. With the news of the storm being bad, even where I live, I decided to fill those two empty 5 & 6 gal carboys with water, just in case the power does go out for a while, at least I have some water for me and also for my dogs. I do have other 1 gal jugs filled as well. Better safe than sorry. Hope all are kept safe.

Me too, since hubby is off on his hunting trip, I am here holding down the fort. Just wanted to share , that if you happen to have empty carboys, or evern some jugs, fill them up. The worst that can happen is having to empty them after the danger has past. But also wanted to share, don't forget about your pets,,they'll need food and water as well.

That is a very great idea !!
We also went that exta mile and we have enough food to last for 30 days or so - you never know what could happen

I did the same thing with my empties. I'm hoping we aren't hit as bad as last year. The one good thing is there is no snow predicted with this one.

That is exactly what we did..filled up our 4 carboys in case the power goes out. Got some fuel for the generator and some extra food. If we get stuck in the house we have plenty of wine to drink if we run out of water..lol

lol...I figure we can live several days on Halloween candy and wine if we have to. It may be rough but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do :D

Thats funny as I just told my wife 2 minutes ago that Im going to do that tomorrow. We have city water so shouldnt have a problem with loosing water but the water can get unsafe to use if the sewage plant gets flooded or what ever happens there. I have like 6 carboys empty as I havent started anything since moving plus about as many primaries and about 1200 bottles of wine so I think Im good there plus 2 fridges of food and a generator to run them and also my wifes aunt lives in the built in inlaw and her fridge is full also. I just thought about something though and that is that we are low on toilet paper so Ill have to hit the madhouse tomorrow after work before the sh!t hits the fan! LOL Be safe all of you.

Yep, filled my empty Carboy, plus I bought a 5 gallon Poland Springs Plastic carboy type jug, we stocked up on some non perishables, I have a bag ready in case we have to leave, and an exit plan if necessary, i'll grab the bags, the hard drives and a few other necessities and we can be mobile fairly quick.

Well, I have no empty carboys, they are all full of wine, :db but I do have empty primaries so I can fill a couple of those.

Terry, you know if you need anything, give us a buzz.

If we have anything to give you a buzz with jules. Last fall we had no land nor cell towers! It was so nice not having the phone ringing off the hook for a few days!!!! The wife and daughter didnt feel the same as me though! LOL

If we have anything to give you a buzz with jules. Last fall we had no land nor cell towers! It was so nice not having the phone ringing off the hook for a few days!!!! The wife and daughter didnt feel the same as me though! LOL

ROFLMAO, Terry can hang out her window and scream JULIE and I'll probably hear her, she just lives up the road from me.

Wish you folks the best back there. One thought tho, you mite draw a bit of wine out of your full carboys. Store it in the reefer and after the big high/low pressures get done going thru, you can pour it back in. Just thinking airlocks and amounts of wine mite go a little crazy. Take care everybody, Arne.

I love the idea of filling the carboys.

I'm starting to look on the bright side of this. If the power is out for days, no political ads or robo-calls!

Thanks Arne, that is a very good point to make. I have had a bottle pop a cork here a couple of times after a big electrical storm.

The sky is clear and there is no wind in Texas today, but just to show how much I empathize with y'all's situation, I filled up all 6 of my empty carboys with wine over the weekend (after pressing out the grapes)! I really feel like we're in this together now! ::

Thanks Julie, I know you and Mike are there, same here! Not too worried, I think my worst problem will be cleaning the dogs feet after they come back inside. And if the power does go out, I hope my sons games are all charged up!

I was wondering if I should pull some wine out of my carboy, think I will do it anyway, that way I will know if I need it sweeter or not (good excuse, huh?) then re-top it later.

I missed the last hurricane that went through here, was out of the country, but what a mess we had when we got home! I think that one was Ivan, not sure. But I think I am all set, have food, water, batteries, candles, everything is charged up. Know where everything is, that way I can get it in the dark, ex: reds on left, whites on right,,cheese all cut up as well as some meats, know just where to grab when I open the door real fast, lmao!!! Yep, all set! Country girls can survive!

The sky is clear and there is no wind in Texas today, but just to show how much I empathize with y'all's situation, I filled up all 6 of my empty carboys with wine over the weekend (after pressing out the grapes)! I really feel like we're in this together now! ::

I didn't bother filling any carboys with water either but my well pump has a backup power source. If I did not know all the local store are probably packed with people getting last minute emergency stuff I would go buy some juice/concentrates to start a couple batches while the storm has me off work (masonry+rain=mess). :dg

Pssssst, he Sandy we need to talk, pull up a chair. Now that I got your attention, I really need to tell you, watch the company you keep or hang out with. You know what they say about "birds of a feather...". Well let me tell you, I can tell you a host of stories about Julie and her husband. Not to even mention the company they were keeping yesterday (Rodo and his wife). Enough said.

Oh yeah one other thing. Just because you know Julie, it doesn't mean it's a free pass into my wine cellar. BUT if you did make it in there, well what happens in the wine cellar...you know the rest!

Dan :ft, you know full well who ever Jeannie and I will take whomever we want into your winecellar!!!!!!

Remember, I know where Mike store's his beers and I know which ones Sue likes! :)

Back