Empty bottle storage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Kneeland

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am probably over thinking this, but wondering if I am missing an elegant solution.

I am in a rural environment which means a humid dirt floor basement plus mice. Talking about 3-400 bottles at any given moment.

First try was milk cartons with bottles upside down. Not bad but bottles became dusty. Not a real difficult problem but added an additional step.

Second try was cardboard bottle cases taped shut. Humidity got to the cardboard and mice could easily chew into the case.

So I think I'll go large plastic storage bins. I think I can go 30 - 36 bottles in a large size. Unless there is a better way...

Thanks
Rob

How about your milk crates inside or covered with trash bags? You can tape the tops of the bags closed. The mice shouldn't chew them up since they are not useful for nesting or food. That will be cheaper than buying 10 or 15 plastic bins. You might try that before investing in the bins.

I'm storing empty bottles in my attic and wonder if the heat will be a problem? I sort of doubt it but, as you say, overthinking it.

I'm storing empty bottles in my attic and wonder if the heat will be a problem? I sort of doubt it but, as you say, overthinking it.
Attic heat isn't hot enough to hurt the bottles. However, it dries out the cardboard, although IME that takes years.

'foil sheets from a restaurant supply'
2082460.jpg
Like the ones for sandwiches or potatoes, in a pop up box like tissues. Consistent size and easy when you are cleaning lots of bottles. I have a production line of sorts, and use coffee filters and rubber bands after cleaning the bottles. The water can evaporate if not completely dry. If they are being stored, foil over that. I use the foil again when sanitizing, covers the sulfited bottle while I set up.
You would need to see how dusty you get, and if this deals with the mouse problem. I had one year of mice after 40+ without. Have all the good traps now, ew.

Thanks for the explanation. This is very interesting. I do use milk cartons, but I've never been happy with the post-bottle clean dust situation. I am intrigued by the coffee-filter/rubber band idea. As for mice, I made a large purchase of bottles this year (which won't be used until 2022), and every day I stare at the carboard boxes knowing I have to do something about them before the weather turns or I'll be looking at mousie highrise condos. On the after-harvest list like everything else.

So I think I'll go large plastic storage bins. I think I can go 30 - 36 bottles in a large size.

That's how I store my empty bottles. I found some large heavy duty bins with nesting lids at Lowe's that can be stacked nicely on top of each other. I wash and dry the bottles before they go in the storage and I never had a problem. I keep them out of the house in a plastic shed over the winter/summer and when the time comes to bottle a batch I bring them in, wash them again and sanitize them.
I found some teeth marks from a rodent on one of the crates but the critter never broke through. The crates weren't cheap, but it was a well worth investment in my opinion.

Mice, how I hate mice. I feel your pain. In my father's house I put EVERYTHING in plastic lidded totes to keep the rodents out. Aluminum foil pressed over the bottle necks will be very effective if you don't mind rinsing the bottles before use.
Know the pain all too well. Had stored a high pressure sprayer in a metal storage room along side the garage. Next year went to get it out for use and found mice had chewed a BIG hole in the gas can top. Could not find a replacement part so had to buy new.

No mice in the house, but they do love the shed. I keep 4 traps baited and set in the shed and that keeps them under control. I was using the old style Decon pellets up until a couple of years ago. The mice carried it up under my lawn tractor and stuffed so much of it over and around the transmission mechanisms that it would not move. It cost me $300 to have it dismantled and cleaned. Traps are much more effective!! 😁

Latest posts

Back