Empty bottle storage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Alan

Junior
Reaction score
How would tossing in 2 or 3 Campden tablets into the storage bin work out? A bit of SO2 release over time.

sluff

Reaction score
I use stackable totes from Menards. The black ones with yellow lids. I can lay 12 bottles in the tote, 5 layers deep then stack the totes in the cellar. I de-label, wash and dry first then wash again and sanitize before use.
I am also looking for ideas on storing empty wine bottles. Are you able to keep 60 (12X5) in one of these Menards totes? Would you mind posting a photo? Thanks!

Reaction score
One of the biggest PITA is the differences in height and diameter of the bottles.

I have the bottles that are wider at the top than the bottom, and since I got an influx of bottles, I've been segregating those and using them for wines where I do not expect to get the bottle back.

Color? I don't go too gonzo on that, sorting by green, blue, brown, and clear. There are too many variations on green for me to fuss too much.

Tall bottles are a different story. I now sort by the case -- I have shorter cases, and I load them with bottles that are short enough that I can close the top flaps. Then I sort by the next taller case, using the same criteria. Repeat until all bottles are sorted. I have some really tall bottles that I group with the wider bottles, and get given away.

Lastly, heavy bottles. I have a few bottles whose neck is too wide to accept a standard size capsule. I have a small stock of large capsules (all in black) and these are also given away.

Ohio Bob

Reaction score
I’ve got enough bottles now where I can recycle the oddballs that are the wrong height, color, etc. I give away wine freely to those I know will return the bottles as well as returning a few store bought empties they buy on their own. Sometimes it pays to prime the pump.

ChuckD

Supporting Members
Reaction score
One of the biggest PITA is the differences in height and diameter of the bottles.
Yep. Luckily My wife likes a specific winery and all their bottles are the same size regardless of color. Right now I have about 250 mixed bottles, mostly the same Size. When I start bottling I’ll sort them by color.

Reaction score
Yep. Luckily My wife likes a specific winery and all their bottles are the same size regardless of color. Right now I have about 250 mixed bottles, mostly the same Size. When I start bottling I’ll sort them by color.
A local winery has mixed colors, but all are the same size. They are happy to give away tasting room empties, and I've picked up 10 cases since Thanksgiving. Need to make another trip soon ....

Darrell Hawley

Supporting Members
Reaction score
I lied. Only 10 per layer, so 50 in a tote.
And they stack real nice too.
View attachment 84647
I believe the higher priority should be finding totes to hold the FULL bottles, :db then you don't have to worry about the empty bottles. Which reminds me, I need to go downstairs and start another Melot kit.

ChuckD

Supporting Members
Reaction score
I believe the higher priority should be finding totes to hold the FULL bottles, :db then you don't have to worry about the empty bottles. Which reminds me, I need to go downstairs and start another Melot kit.
But you need empty bottles to fill… “chicken and egg” kind of thing

bstnh1

Supporting Members
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with mice or other critters in my basement, so I store empties upright in sturdy wine cartons that I pick up at the grocery or liquor stores. They can be stacked 5 or 6 high and I find they last for years. I store full bottles in the same cartons on their sides, but usually no more than 2 or 3 high.

Latest posts