RJ Spagnols EM w/ GCI Nebbiolo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StreetGlide

Reaction score
Picked up a Grand Cru International Nebbiolo Kit, trying to get a few kits aging before switching to all EP kits. Would this benefit from an EM? Or being that is dried skins and not a grape pack would it not make as big of difference? The only second thought came from there being stems in the fried skins and made me think about a possibility of green tannins. Anyone have an opinion?

I started this same kit last March. I left it on the skins for 5 weeks. Added an ounce of medium French oak chips. Bottled 4 weeks ago. It’s very tasty. No idea what the ‘extended maceration’ may or may not have done to it.

I will say that this is not at all the big wine I was expecting. Again, it’s very good. Just not rich like I expect from a Nebbiolo. In fact, I think it’s probably the best wine I’ve made for early drinker status at this point.

I’ll surely make again, just expecting a different wine.

Jbo

I started this same kit last March. I left it on the skins for 5 weeks. Added an ounce of medium French oak chips. Bottled 4 weeks ago. It’s very tasty. No idea what the ‘extended maceration’ may or may not have done to it.

I will say that this is not at all the big wine I was expecting. Again, it’s very good. Just not rich like I expect from a Nebbiolo. In fact, I think it’s probably the best wine I’ve made for early drinker status at this point.

I’ll surely make again, just expecting a different wine.

Jbo

Thanks for the reply. I started this kit 10 days ago. Added 1/2 cup of raisins, 1TBS of generic tannin, 30g of med toast French chips and brought the SG up to 1.104 with 1qt of simple syrup. Rehydrated RC212 and pitched it. It’s been cooking away. I planned on 4 weeks but 1 more week would be fine with me.

Latest posts

Back