Other EM Question...Help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StreetGlide

Reaction score
Is it common after 3 weeks to see the airlock completely closed, no sign of co2?, or should I get it out of the primary because this is a sign on there not being enough to protect it another few weeks. I sealed them both after a week. One I planned to go 4 weeks which is in a normal fermenting bucket, that’s a WV GSM, the other is a EP Trio Red and that’s in a 30L Speidel.

I just leave mine. You’ll see little to no air lock activity. If the temperature or barometric pressure change, you may see some little activity again for a short time, but that’s just some natural degassing.

Jbo

That’s normal.
Just because there’s no CO2 leaving the vessel, doesn’t mean there isn’t ~100% CO2 in the headspace (assuming it is sealed well and had enough CO2 flush the headspace before fermentation ended).
I think sealing it up with 1.010 - 1.020 left is plenty.

+1 for both @jbo_c and @FunkedOut - I would additionally take a hydrometer reading - I suspect you're dry... I have left my EM's as long as 10 weeks without any difficulty at all. And, I have 7 current ferments that are about 30 days in that, like you, are snoozing.

You're in good shape.

Thanks guys. Only reason I have not taken any readings is that I did not want to open either back up. I used BM 4x4 on both and both were at 1.02 and given 1/2 dose of Fermaid O before seal up.
I plan to leave the smaller WV Kit 1 more week and the Trio Red 3 more

Latest posts

Back