Elmer's immersion chiller

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
I decided that instead of buying ice, making & hoarding ice or going No Chill, I would make an immersion chiller. I followed the directions that can be found all over the interwebs.
supplies were as follows:
3/4" ID copper tube 20ft
3/4" OD rubber hose approx 10 ft
1 garden hose attachment
3 clamps

I coiled the copper around a smaller pot and then a paint can, to tightenImageUploadedByWine Making1432516662.240897.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1432516675.635187.jpg. Made sure the output came up through the middle and secured the tubes together.
I ran a "dry" or "wet" run using 1 gallon of water.
It took 3 minutes to cool the water from 220F to 80F, which is not bad considering 1/2 the coil was not submerged.
Total cost was $25, which beats buying one for $70 to $90 at the LHBS
Tomorrow I will use it in a real boil!
ImageUploadedByWine Making1432516584.066160.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1432516599.761191.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1432516612.502702.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1432516626.430816.jpg

Looks really cool! I would never think about buying a heat exchanger for brewing. So much funner and cheaper to make one yourself!

I like how both your supply and return is the sink. Now if you were really wanting to get this going you could make a counter flow HX.

Looks really cool! I would never think about buying a heat exchanger for brewing. So much funner and cheaper to make one yourself!

I like how both your supply and return is the sink. Now if you were really wanting to get this going you could make a counter flow HX.

Cant even fathom a Counter flow thingamajig.
I was able to build the chiller because it required 2 cuts, 3 screwings and 1 big bend!

Lol, well you could make one, and it would not HAVE to have a pump for it either. But, it sounds like your immersion chiller is working pretty well anyways to be honest.

I am truly envious. That looks like a great job, Elmer.. How do you ensure that the fittings don't leak?

One of them did. But in anticipation I made sure the fittings would drip outside the pot and into the sink!

Back