Elmer's first boil

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C
elmer, Your beer looks great.
Any wheat in your grains? That might account for the cloudiness/haze. In addition to, or instead of, Irish Moss you could also have added Whirlfloc tablets about ten minutes before the end of the boil. Don't know if I've already suggested this, but you could also use a 5 gallon paint strainer bag from Home Depot/Lowes. Put the bag in your primary (after cooling) and pour the wort into that. It should help remove more of the hops and left over grains. You'll probably find that the bag will become clogged with "cling-ons" (my term) as you drain. You'll have to shake the bag or "thwack" the side of the bag to get them to drop off. The clearer the sides are the faster it will drain. O2 at this stage is a good thing. Sediment will be less of a problem with all extract kits, but I think partial makes a better beer. I haven't done all grain so I can't say for sure.
If you want to try some Whirlfloc tablets for free PM me. I bought a pound (about 200+ tablets) and that's more than I will probably ever use.

He mentioned it was an extract kit with steeping grains, so it probably didn't have any wheat. The haze might have come from not getting a good hot break or cold break.

3 weeks of bottle conditioning, all the flavors have come together.

It is a pale ale with subtle hop flavor.
It is very drinkable!
Very happy
ImageUploadedByWine Making1423525243.599052.jpg

Don't know how you waited. I drank my last English Bitter last night! I did give away some. The last few did taste a lot better than the first few. I will have to learn this new concept of waiting for a beer. :).

Latest posts

Back