ELF Wine From Oklahoma

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELF Wine

Junior
Reaction score
Just getting started making wine. Growing grapes (not so easy in Oklahoma)...started some grapes that I thought were seedless, turned out to be seeded Niagara (yeah, I know, not the BEST wine grape, but when you have about 100 pounds what's a guy to do...stuck right now on my first batch and found this forum looking for answers (hoping to find them here)...long family history in grapes...my grand father worked with T.V. Munson developing the root stock for the French after their vineyards were wiped out by nematodes...he was an advisor for the establishment of the T.V. Munson Memorial vineyards and vitaculture school at Grayson County College in Denison Texas...he has now passed and I am trying to get some varieties the they have at the school, a little connection with Grand-dad's history... hoping to get some help starting this new adverture...

congratulations you have a very proud and beneficial lineage. just a FYI a member of the Greater Kansas City Cellarmasters has a vineyard in Missouri dedicated to Munson grape varieties and others. He has also established a winery centering on these varieties. His name is Jerry Esterhold email [email protected]. I think he would be glad to meet you and would help on any ventures you pursue with the Munson varieties.

...my lineage would have been more beneficial if I had started 40 years ago instead of waiting till I'm old...but, better late than never I guess...I appreciate the link and I will check out Mr. Esterhold... I am currently getting some Carman vines from my brother that came from my father who originally got them from my grandfather... I am very interested in exploring some Munson varieties... starting late is not foreign to me...I turned 60 at Luthier school in Atlanta learning to build and repair guitars, which is what I do now...

Back