Electric Fence Netting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VinesnBines

Reaction score
Has anyone used electric fence netting to protect vines from racoons, fox, maybe deer (though deer will probably jump the fence)? If so, what height is best and brand? I'm concerned the racoons will go through two or three wires and the fox will jump the fence. The cost is more than double regular electric fence but it looks like it will save an immense amount of time for installation and removal - at this point time is what I don't have. Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure the racoons got last year's crop but our trail camera has picked up the fox twice this week, hanging and hunting near the vines. Darn him. So I'm needing something to deter both. What brand do you have?

Let us know how this works out. I was planning on putting electrified wire netting suspended on PVC pipe over a row of strawberries to keep deer off them. I read somewhere that this might not work unless you have a really high output (expensive} fence charger unit. It said the netting uses up the output like it was hundreds of feet of a single wire. Not explained very well but It's the way I understood it in non-technical terms.

The netting has several (eight probably) conductive wires so it does take more charge. I'll need about 1/2 mile of fence so it would be like four miles of single wire.

I used the poultrynet plus from Premier Fence. It has built-in step-in posts and has been very durable. I’ve used it for three summers now.
That is one of the suppliers I've been researching. Thanks!

I'll need about 1/2 mile of fence
That’s a lot of step-in posts! I was doing a rectangle with a 150’ perimeter and I had to use guy ropes and stakes to keep it taught.

I can’t imagine one 🦊 eating that many grapes. And they may help keep away rodents that will.

Can you trap the raccoons? I have coon cuffs that will not trap dogs or cats. They were about $10 each so you can put out a lot of them. They can only be triggered by an animal with grasping hands. You do need to dispatch the raccoons though.

I prefer not to dispatch raccoons or fox. Besides, while the traps are full, the raccoon cousins are feasting. Critter fighting is a full time job.

Anyway the netting will be a lot faster than stringing wire. I watched a YouTube of raccoons in a Nova Scotia vineyard that sold me on netting.

Oh I’m quite sure it will only take one jolt to convince them to find another meal ⚡️ My dogs both touched it once and still won’t go within 10 feet of it. I never heard them make
That sound before or since.

Latest posts

Back