Elderberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its the seeds in the American red elderberries that are toxic. Other parts, leaves bark, even little stems on fruit clusters are toxic on all elder bushes.
I have made jelly with red elderberries. MUST BE NO SEEDS. De-seeding is hard, (cant even crush the seeds) so not worth the risk.
I also grow chaya and cassava, both toxic. even morels are toxic till cooked. It's all in the preparation.
the european red elders have little red balls of fruit, these in arkansas are more of a dry red husk, and yes all elders carry strychnine, but at different levels, if i can figure out my smarter than me smart phone i'll post pictures latter today after the heat drops some,,
Dawg

Well, I always thought these were american red elderberries around here but was never sure. leaves look the same, flower spikes do point more up till berries weigh them down. Clusters are smaller.
Like i said, too risky as I am older now. i do make black elderberry wine every couple of years. i grow my own, too many snakes this time of year in woods. Adams is the type i have, found after planting they need another variety to produce but they have had berries every year. Must cross with wild ones. In primary just throw berries in bag and crush. NO STEMS THOUGH. Takes a few years of aging to get really good though.

Well, I always thought these were american red elderberries around here but was never sure. leaves look the same, flower spikes do point more up till berries weigh them down. Clusters are smaller.
Like i said, too risky as I am older now. i do make black elderberry wine every couple of years. i grow my own, too many nnsnakes this time of year in woods. Adams is the type i have, found after planting they need another variety to produce but they have had berries every year. Must cross with wild ones. In primary just throw berries in bag and crush. NO STEMS THOUGH. Takes a few years of aging to get really good though.
, them adams look good but i'm in to deep to change, i hope to get 2 or 4, 6 gal carboys to bulk age, i got a couple old 5 gal stainless beer kegs, i've been thinking about having some tri clamp fittings welded on them, and use them to also bulk age with, they got a plate and rubber washer to seal them up with and since they are skinny and tall i could get quite a few into the wine rooms closet , outta sight outta mind,. down the highways i've seen more then i could use, not the canes,, just the berries,, everytime mine get 6 to 7 years old i get weak, but if i triple my bulk aging on elderberry, i might just get some as fine as silk going down,,,
Dawg

Latest posts

Back