Elderberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivebk

Reaction score
Does anyone have a really good recipe for dry elderberry wine if so would you be willing to share your recipe? I have made several wines from elderberries but all of them have been blended wines . Elderberry / Blackberry , elderberry / Concord and Elderberry / Concord melomel all were sweet wines so I thought I would try a dry one.

Thanks

BOB

Does anyone have a really good recipe for dry elderberry wine if so would you be willing to share your recipe? I have made several wines from elderberries but all of them have been blended wines . Elderberry / Blackberry , elderberry / Concord and Elderberry / Concord melomel all were sweet wines so I thought I would try a dry one.

Thanks

BOB

Don't understand the question.

Ferment to .990 and you have a dry wine - with any recipe - unless the yeast called for will not handle the estimated ABV base on starting SG and ending at .990.

Are you just asking about an elderberry only wine vs a mixed./blended wine.

Don't understand the question.

Ferment to .990 and you have a dry wine - with any recipe - unless the yeast called for will not handle the estimated ABV base on starting SG and ending at .990.

Are you just asking about an elderberry only wine vs a mixed./blended wine.

I see what you are saying, but recipes for sweet vs dry wines can be different; it is not merely the leftover or backsweetened sugar that matters but also the sugar/acid/alcohol balance and all of that is reflected in the recipe.

Instead of just trying something that I come up with out of the blue I thought that someone might have a good recipe that has already been tried and proven itself .

Good point. I haven't progressed to the finer points of the process. I chose a fruit, balance the acidity, decide if I want tannins, pick an ABV, and if it's going to be a high ABV it's going to have to be a sweet dessert wine with lots of flavor. Haven't gotten much beyond that.

I am aging a small batch of peach with 1/8 vanilla bean in one gallon and zero in the other. Moderate Alcohol and currently thinking slightly sweet. (Also have a 3 gallon batch of straight peach a little further along. Did I say peach is my favorite? )

Appreciate the comments. Never fail to learn, or you are learning to fail.

Latest posts

Back