Elderberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahRides

Reaction score
So I was going to try making some elderberry wine using this recipe (I picked up 3 lbs of dried elderberries at a local spice shop) to make a 5 or 6 gallon batch. I was thinking about also tossing in a pound or so of blackberries as well when they are starting to pick. How does this sound? (probably would add sugar and acid based on the SG and TA readings instead of what the recipe says with a starting SG of 1.080)

INGREDIENTS for each gallon to be made:
6 oz. Dried Elderberries or 3 lbs. fresh elderberries
1 gallon Warm Water
2 lbs. Sugar
1/2 - 1 lb. Chopped Raisins
1 1/2 tsp. acid blend
1/2 tsp. Super Ferment Yeast Nutrient
1 Campden Tablet (crushed) or 1/8 tsp. Sodium Metabisulfite
1 pkg. Wine Yeast (for up to five gallons)

PROCEDURE:
1. Mix all the ingredients EXCEPT the wine yeast in primary fermenter. Stir well to dissolve.
2. Allow to stand for 24 hours. Stir several times during this period.
3. Add wine yeast to a cup of lukewarm water. Cover and allow to stand 10 - 15 minutes. Now add to fermenter and cover with lid or plastic sheet and tie down.
4. Ferment for 4-6 days (until S.G. 1.030). Stir daily to break up pulp cap. Strain out the pulp and knead to extract the juice. Syphon into sterilized secondary fermenter and attach fermentation lock.

Note: A second run may be made from the discarded pulp. Add another gallon warm (not hot! ) water, more sugar, more acid blend (increase amount to 2 tsp.) and more yeast nutrient. Ferment 10 days on the pulp. Continue the original procedure. A lighter wine will result.

5. Rack into another sterilized jug at three weeks and attach fermentation lock. Always fill the jug as full as possible. Rack again in about 1 month.
6. When wine is clear and stable, it may be bottled. The addition of 1/2 tsp. potassium sorbate stabilizer is recommended. If a sweeter wine is desired, add simple syrup to taste (2 parts fructose or sugar to 1 part boiling water).
7. Bottle and cork and stand upright for 3 - 4 days then lay on its side and allow to age for 4-6 months in a dark, vibration free place.

Thanks everyone! :b

I would not follow that sulfite level, thats quite a lot for a 1 gallon batch, more like enough for 3 gallons. Yiou should do as you said and never follow sugar or acid amounts and test instead like you plan, its a much better way to go. Unless you use a lot of Blackberries that flavor will not come through as Elderberry flavor is very strong and will mask almost anything else. I really dont see the need for the raisons in this as Elderberries have plenty of body IMO.

Ok, thanks Wade! I saw some recipes with raisins, and some without, so I wasn't sure which way to go. I was also thinking about just putting in all 3 pounds for maybe the 6 gallon batch (I usually like pretty strong flavors and I know a lot of wines sometimes lose their flavor during fermentation), since it is a strong flavor, would that be too much?

Ok, thanks Wade! I saw some recipes with raisins, and some without, so I wasn't sure which way to go. I was also thinking about just putting in all 3 pounds of dried elderberries for maybe the 6 gallon batch (I usually like pretty strong flavors and I know a lot of wines sometimes lose their flavor during fermentation), since it is a strong flavor, would that be too much?

Blackberry and elderberry go VERY well together.

Raisins are included to build body, but the recipe still looks like it will produce a thin wine to me.

I would use 24# of blackberries along with your dried elderberries to get the body and flavor you're looking for.

Another option is to add grape concentrate to build it up some.

I would add either more elderberries or more blackberry. I would go with atleast 4 lbs of fruit and even better 5 lbs per gallon. If it were only elderberries, 4 is enough, but it will be on the thin/medium bodied side. If you want a mix, then I'd go for 5 lbs, IMO. A 2 lb elderberry to 3 lb blackberry mix should make them close to a 50/50 taste type blend as the elderberries have more flavor per lb. I wouldn't use any raisins, IMO, as I'd rather add more fruit and the body will be there.

If you use 3 lbs of dried for 6 gallons, you should be ok, but I'm unfamiliar to using dried fruits. IMO, you want the juice too! lol.

I did the math and figure that 3 lbs (48 oz) of dried fruit total for a 6 gallon batch, if the ratio is the same as the recipe, would be exactly 4 lbs/gal of non-dried fruit (24 lbs) for the same batch. That should be enough to give it about a medium body and flavor. If you want a full bodied wine, 5-6 lbs is recommended.

Blue berries also bled well in these. Love them in Black or Elderberry wines!

Back