Elderberry Wine (Dried Elders)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I definitely am glad we decided to plant the elderberries 6 years ago, I didn't realize just how versatile they were going to become! So many possible uses! :)

So the kits had a little pack of dried elderberries but not already mixed in, I think that a great idea, wonder if they would sell the dried ones on the side like they do with F pacs? WVMJ

So the kits had a little pack of dried elderberries but not already mixed in, I think that a great idea, wonder if they would sell the dried ones on the side like they do with F pacs? WVMJ

they do. You can buy them in a variety of sizes.You're supposed to rehydrate them in hot water then toss in your must. I always keep a few bags of them on hand.

WVMountaineerJack said:
... We also found a vineyard that grows elderberries in VA... WVMJ

Do you mind sharing who they are? I'm in South Carolina and would love to find a grower within a 500 mile radius or so.

How does dried elderberry wine compare to fresh elderberry wine? (I know a quarter of the amount is needed for dried).

The elderberries are almost ripe here, but I only have limited fermenters, and freezer space, so it would be nice to be able to make it whenever using dried!

James, I made a post on another thread where you were asking about using dried elderberries. Have you looked in our recipe section? I think there are threads about using dried elderberries and if you don't get an answer from there contact WVMountaineer he is our expert on elderberries.

Not an expert, I just like to talk about them a lot. I have recipe for dried elderberry on our webpage. I think the dried ones give a richer taste, kind of like using raisans vs grapes but not that huge of a difference as the elders dry so much faster. WVMJ

Well I think you are the expert, if I would have a problem with an elderberry wine you are the person I'm going to pm!

Hi guys,

I found a really nice looking recipe on here by "Becks The Elder". Looks like shes put in a lot of work there, so I look forward to trying the recipe.

As I love elderberry wine, I wanted to make a few variations, so I ran the recipe through the YoBrew wine calcs.

Just a couple of things I have noticed with the original recipe was that the wine is likely to come out (with 250g elderberries, 250g raisins and 1280g sugar per UK Gallon), at 17% ABV, 0.45% acidity and 0.13% tannin! I think that most yeasts wont ferment that high, so I would probably reduce the sugar by 80% to get a dry wine with ABV of about 13.5%, (i.e. 700g white sugar and 320g soft light brown sugar per UK gallon).

Also, the acidity is quite low for a red wine as it stands at 0.45%, with reds typically being between 0.5 to 0.65%. There is probably then scope for adding in some more "fruit". I would cap elderberries at 250g dried berries per UK gallon (as you have due to their high tannin content), so you could add in 500g of fresh fruit or berries, or 125g dried, or maybe half a litre of red grape juice. As the extra fruit would also contain sugar (say approx. 10% for fresh or 40% for dried), the total sugar content could be reduced further by 50g when adding in the extra fruit, (giving 660g white sugar and 280g light soft brown).

I think that Becks' recipe could be used as a really nice base, with these new sugar levels, with additions of combinations of extra fruit. Im going to trial a few combinations using the following recipes for a UK gallon (going off my thinking above):

660g White Sugar & 280g Soft Light Brown Sugar
Cover with water and boil to dissolve. Allow to cool, and add to demijohn along with:
250g Chopped Raisins OR 1 L Red Grape Juice
250g Dried Elderberries,
500g Fresh / Frozen / Tinned Blackberries / Blueberries / Cherries / Plums / Raspberries (If tinned account for extra white sugar) / 500ml Red Grape Juice / 125g Raisins,
2 Teaspoons Pectic Enzyme,
1 crushed campden tablet per gallon.
Leave for 24 hours, then add:
1 Teaspoon Yeast Nutrient,
Gervin GV2 Yeast.
Ferment on pulp for 4 days, strain and top up to a gallon.
Ferment to dry and mature for 6 to 12 months.

In US Gallons, that recipe would be:
560g White Sugar & 235g Soft Light Brown Sugar
Cover with water and boil to dissolve. Allow to cool, and add to demijohn along with:
210g Chopped Raisins OR 840ml Red Grape Juice
210g Dried Elderberries,
420g Fresh / Frozen / Tinned Blackberries / Blueberries / Cherries / Plums / Raspberries (If tinned account for extra white sugar) / 420ml Red Grape Juice / 105g Extra Raisins,
2 Teaspoons Pectic Enzyme,
1 crushed campden tablet per gallon.
Leave for 24 hours, then add:
1 Teaspoon Yeast Nutrient,
Gervin GV2 Yeast.
Ferment on pulp for 4 days, strain and top up to a gallon.
Ferment to dry and mature for 6 to 12 months.

The extra fruit could always be added after the initial 3 weeks when fermentation has slowed down a bit, as this may retain a bit more of the flavour of the late added fruit.

Cant wait to try Becks recipe and a few different combinations! The elderberries are almost ripe now (4 times the dried amount would be used). Ive also bought some dried ones so I can do both!

Latest posts

Back