Elderberry taste intensity relative to other fruits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winot

Reaction score
This question is also kind of along the lines of the post below "How to make a wine recipe". So I will be feeling my way on this one.

I am going to make a wine to surprise my wife for our 3rd wedding anniversay which is 14 months away.

My wifes name is ELSA so I am going to make a ....

Elderberry-Lychee-Strawberry-Apricot wine.

Normally I don't think its best to combine too many fruits in a blend as they may mask each other, but this time I am really just trying to spell her name with the fruits used, and then design an appropriate label. Who knows, the fruit blend might generate interesting complexity in the wine.

I have made Strawberry and Apricot wine (at least in the process of) and so have an idea as to what intensity of taste these bring to a wine. I imagine Lychee will be similar. If I want this wine to be balanced in terms of fruit tastes, should I go light or heavy on the elderberries (I will be purchasing dried elderberries). I don't want to inadvertantly weigh the wine too heavy too an elderberry taste. How flavoursome does elderberry tend to be relative to the other fruits I have listed ?

I will most likely use dried elderberries, lychees in a can, fresh strawberries and fresh apricots.

Thank - Winot

Winot,

What a lovely gift to your wife.....will it be a large family gathering, or a small party of two?

I am going to suggest you ask this question of Luc..

He is our fruit wine expert..especially elderberry..

How many gallons do you intend to make?

Allie

Elderberreis are really, really strong in flavor and tannins.

I use 3 kilo on a batcth of 10 liter and from that 3 kilo most is thrown away as pulp after no more as 4 days pulp-fermenting !!!!

So go really low on the elderberries.

Luc

I agree with Luc on the Elderberry taking over the whole flavor profile of th wine. You may want to do a small scale test with some of these juices in a glass until you think you can taste all of it and then design the recipe around that sample. Ive never tried Lychee.

Lychees are good wade, trust me.
I made two times Lychee wine from canned lychees and
both cane out very well.

Strawberry and lychees have a delicate flavor.
So I would use more of these to let them dominate.

Apricot I have made once from dried apricots and it had a peculiar taste. I would go low on them unless you are familiar with apricot wine and like it.

You could use another fruit with an A like apples.

Luc

Great

Luc - Thanks for the advice !. Will definitely go easy on the elderberries.

Sounds like I will use roughly 35% strawberry, 35% lychee, 20% apricot, 10% elderberries or thereabouts in ratio.

Wade - perfect idea to try and pre-taste a juice mix. I will try that.

St Allie - A trip for 2 it will be. Probably to a spa resort place up in the Mt Macedon Ranges near Melbourne. A few wineries up that way too.

It will be a 3 gallon batch. So far I have been using a 15-litre primary and 1-gallon demijohns, however am happy with my progress so far (see new Album :D ) so have just recently bought a 30 litre primary and two 3-gallon demijohns, so will run a 3+ gallon batch and hope for the best.

Luc - I agree Lychees should be good - they are very similar to one of my favourite fruits - rambutans.

Winot

Great

St Allie - A trip for 2 it will be. Probably to a spa resort place up in the Mt Macedon Ranges near Melbourne. A few wineries up that way too.

It will be a 3 gallon batch. So far I have been using a 15-litre primary and 1-gallon demijohns, however am happy with my progress so far (see new Album :D ) so have just recently bought a 30 litre primary and two 3-gallon demijohns, so will run a 3+ gallon batch and hope for the best.

Winot

Had to look the macedon ranges up on a map, I haven't been out of the melbourne town centre there are some great places to see in melbourne.. you have an awesome gaol there too.. I spent some years in adelaide myself, ever been to the flinders ranges?

Have a preference for 1, 2 and 3 gallon demijohns.. they are easy to manouvre by myself.. luckily I have teens to shift the big ones, am scared of dropping one.

Saw your album earlier today.. the apricot cleared nicely and the strawberry looks amazing.You look very happy in your kitchen.

Are you saving up wine bottles for it all yet?

Allie

Last edited:
I bought a bottle of apricot brandy from the liquor store just recently... first time and unfortunately during the first taste I realized it was waaaaaaaaay too strong. All I could taste was apricot., "McGuinness Apricot Brandy." The flavour was overpowering... I suppose if you're mixing it with other liquors it might make sense but not on its own.

St Allie ... I went to the Flinders Ranges twice in '85 and '86, once for a Uni field trip and once camping with some friends during 3rd year Uni (University of Adelaide).

Allie yes I have been accumulating bottles. The strawberry and the pineapple have been 6 months now, so will sweeten and then let settle for another month then bottle in mid-Sept.

I bought 3 batches of wine bottles. One batch was from a brew shop, they look "cheap" and are meant to be corked. I am not overly happy with them as the glass looks like it's not that consistent bottle-to-bottle.

I also bought two batches of 24 empty wine bottles from Ebay for $2 total, I think someone just wanted their garbage moved out ! Only I realize now they are screw cap bottles. What about screw caps, is it best to avoid them ? particularly for storing beyond 4-6 months ? Also, what happens if I try to cork a bottle that was originally designed for screw caps, will I end up mopping my floor with strawberry wine ?

I also bought two batches of 24 empty wine bottles from Ebay for $2 total, I think someone just wanted their garbage moved out ! Only I realize now they are screw cap bottles. What about screw caps, is it best to avoid them ? particularly for storing beyond 4-6 months ? Also, what happens if I try to cork a bottle that was originally designed for screw caps, will I end up mopping my floor with strawberry wine ?

If they are commercial screw top bottles you might as well toss them. It is not recommended they be corked. The glass in the necks are not as thick as corked bottles and you run a very high risk if breaking them while corking. I have heard of many who have tried and broke bottles. Also, you will see on brewing supply sites where you can buy screw cap bottles and caps. The threads on these bottles and caps are different from what I have read and you can't use those caps on commercial bottles.

If you cant find the correct screw tops you will have to try corking. I have corked a couple screw tops in the Portugese corker with success but smurfe has been around alot longer than I have. Wait....did that come out right??

St Allie ... I went to the Flinders Ranges twice in '85 and '86, once for a Uni field trip and once camping with some friends during 3rd year Uni (University of Adelaide).

Allie yes I have been accumulating bottles. The strawberry and the pineapple have been 6 months now, so will sweeten and then let settle for another month then bottle in mid-Sept.

I bought 3 batches of wine bottles. One batch was from a brew shop, they look "cheap" and are meant to be corked. I am not overly happy with them as the glass looks like it's not that consistent bottle-to-bottle.

I recyle commercial screw cap bottles for my wines.. get all your friends and family or the local restaurant to save their bottles with the caps for you.. They work fine. NZ is all screw cap now.. so they are easy to come by.

Allie

I do miss the bush there and the kookaburras.. NZ is very green in comparison.

Please dont cork screw tops as it only takes once to do serious damage to yourself. On another forum someone did just that and cut through his tenons and had to have multiple reconstructive surgeries due to this. Iys much cheaper to either buy bottles or just throw those screw tops away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back