elderberry plain or mixed come vote

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What to do with the elderberries

• Plain elderberry wine

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Plain elderberry meade

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • elderberry / apple

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • elderberry / chokecherry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • elderberry / _________

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
I am working on collecting up 10lbs of elderberries or more if I can get them. But I am not sure what to do with them should I

a) make straight elderberry wine
b) make elderberry meade
c) make elderberry / apple
d) make elderberry / chokecherry
e) make elderberry / insert other option here ________ (in your post of course)

I have several things in the freezer right now but most of them I have plans for, however that doesn't mean I wont take them out and use them if the mood comes along, lol............

Leave your feedback,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I am working on collecting up 10lbs of elderberries or more if I can get them. But I am not sure what to do with them should I

a) make straight elderberry wine
b) make elderberry meade
c) make elderberry / apple
d) make elderberry / chokecherry
e) make elderberry / insert other option here ________ (in your post of course)

I have several things in the freezer right now but most of them I have plans for, however that doesn't mean I wont take them out and use them if the mood comes along, lol............

Leave your feedback,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I say make straight elderberry wine. 10# should give you a nice 3g batch. You can always blend part of it with a straight apple wine later.

The best of two worlds!

One of the members sent me some elderberries for Christmas this past year. I mixed them with some raspberries. Great combonation.

Straight elderberry is very good. I'd try it with honey, but then I'm partial to meads.

I would say that if you haven't made a straight Elderberry batch yet, do it. Then you will know how well you like it and then if you wish, mix it up. I have mixed a little of it with a real sweet chocolate wine I made ( only a glassful). Personally I thought it was a waste of elderberry wine.
Brad

I would say straight with Mead coming in close second. If you even think of mixing it make them seperate and then mix them or youll most likely be hiding all the additional fruit as elderberry is very strong.

Back