Elderberry film on equipment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodbee

Reaction score
Howdy. I remember reading here not too long ago about some folks dealing with a waxy film or deposits on their equipment when fermenting Elderberries. I can't seem to find that post. This is a very nasty sticky material. Hot water and detergent don't seem to touch it. Was there any good solutions (no pun intended) for removing it? Right now I only have my long handled paddle to deal with. But in a couple of days I will have to clean up my primary that also has a bung spicket. I would like to be ready to clean it off when it is empty. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated
Brad

Vegetable oil, I just had to do this this morning and soap and water will only smear it and make even more of a mess. Olive oil also works but is more expensive but if you have it handy instead f buying something it too works fine as I tried that also just to see.

Wade, Thank you very much. Before your reply, I had tried a half dozen different cleaners that the wife had under the sink. No joy. Thanks again.
Brad

Just sharing what Ive learned over the many years, full circle, love it!

Latest posts

Back