Elderberry, Cranberry, Pomegranate wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prvtdobyn30

Junior
Reaction score
I've got the ingredients to make a large batch of wine. Wondering if I should do separate or do all three fruits together in a 7 gallon fast ferment kit? I know I need to dissolve sugar in boiling water to make it easier to ferment now. I use the recipes in the Vinters kit and modify slightly if needed. Any thoughts on the mix? I feel doing all 3 at the same time in one batch could be interesting.

While I agree that fermenting separating and blending might produce the best result, the physical constraints of "what containers do I have available" might say otherwise.

What amounts do you have of each fruit?

FAST ferment kit is a 7 gallon cone shaped container with a valve on the bottom for the must. It aids in fermentation and quickens the time frame.

think of your juices as building blocks. What is each fruit contributing to produce a hedonic/ pleasing blended country wine? ,,, and what is missing that you need to add from the chemical bottles?

Elderberry; my harvest is high on bitter/ tannic flavors, OK on total acidity, it is low on pH, low on sugar and aromatics. I really like elderberry mixed with concord since my concord is good on aromatics and acid and zero on tannin. (Several years; pH 3.91-4.81/ TA 0.67-0.78%/ grav. 1.029-1.052)
Cranberry; interesting long flavor notes, no actual tannin, good aromatics, exceptionally high acid and low on sugar. Looking at this part of the country eating apples blend well since they can be low acid, low on long flavor notes and moderate on aromatics. ,,, I would look for any low acid juice to blend with cranberry. (Several batches; pH 2.6-2.8/ TA 2.8-3.2%/ grav 1.038-1.040)
Pomegranate; astringent long flavor notes which I want under 25% of a mix, nice pH, TA is a bit high, nice sugar level, nice fruity flavor. (One sample pH 3.13/ TA 1.59%/ grav 1.080)

I always try ratios out in a test system before tieing up a carboy for a year, a pie ,, yes I have made elderberry and cranberry into pie with other fruits as apple.

I always try ratios out in a test system before tieing up a carboy for a year, a pie ,, yes I have made elderberry and cranberry into pie with other fruits as apple.

Good advice! Make up the juice blend you are considering and taste it first. Make sure that you like it before you make the wine.

I have made elderberry and cranberry wine separately and really enjoy them. I'm not sure that I would like them mixed together. My own approach is to get experience making wines from a single type of fruit first, then consider blending them. I do add some raisins and banana to my peach wine, and some orange zest to my cranberry wine. My inspiration for the latter is that orange zest works very well in cranberry sauce, so I wanted to try it in cranberry wine. What flavors work well together?

The cone fermenter is likely to get seriously clogged with fruit pulp. Invest in a 2 gallon or 5 gallon Food Safe bucket for fermenting. From the amount of fruit you have it sounds like you have enough for one 2 gallon batch. Red Raspberry, if that's what you have, is not a really strong flavor so 4 lbs is pretty light of the fruit per gallon side.

The cone fermenter is likely to get seriously clogged with fruit pulp. Invest in a 2 gallon or 5 gallon Food Safe bucket for fermenting. From the amount of fruit you have it sounds like you have enough for one 2 gallon batch. Red Raspberry, if that's what you have, is not a really strong flavor so 4 lbs is pretty light of the fruit per gallon side.
Elderberry, cranberry and pomegranate are the fruits.

Back