Elderberry concentrate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would behoove them to put a little more info on their site. A simple ingredients list wouldn't be that hard and it would help negate the bad PR that is in threads like this.

It would behoove them to put a little more info on their site. A simple ingredients list wouldn't be that hard and it would help negate the bad PR that is in threads like this.
you are so right, I've swoar by them for a few years, but i must admit i never new when they switched, yes, lack of information was why i'd called them back before i used them, i have used them for many a wine.
Dawg

Ah well it happens dawg. We'll see how the two bottles of Black Raspberry turn out. I'll check with them on the content in it as well. Their mixing Grape with Fruit makes it more believeable now since I can't find Black Raspberry anyplace else with the exception of Commercial distributors.

By the way in thinking about this - Isn't Elderberry a pretty stout juice on it's own? Could it be that this one was done as a blend for that reason? Just wondering and not defending or attacking anyone on this.

Ah well it happens dawg. We'll see how the two bottles of Black Raspberry turn out. I'll check with them on the content in it as well. Their mixing Grape with Fruit makes it more believeable now since I can't find Black Raspberry anyplace else with the exception of Commercial distributors.

By the way in thinking about this - Isn't Elderberry a pretty stout juice on it's own? Could it be that this one was done as a blend for that reason? Just and not defending or attacking anyone on this.
yes elderberry is extremely robust flavor, i have 25 or so black elderberry bushes, but with it being dry this season, so got , not enough to pick, or even much less, same with blackberries, pears, peaches. not a thing, and pasture, i'm feeding hay a easy 2 1/2 months early this year
Dawg

And your point is???
That applies to products sold IN California.
AND of course we know that California has created a ridiculously complex encyclopedia of "Consumer Protection" laws.
Then there is the point that state laws regarding food labeling vary outrageously from state to state. Best example is the lack of standard terms required for foods: Best By: xx/xx/xxx, Expires on: xx/xx/xxxx, Use Before: xx/xx/xxxx

And your point is???
That applies to products sold IN California.
AND of course we know that California has created a ridiculously complex encyclopedia of "Consumer Protection" laws.
Then there is the point that state laws regarding food labeling vary outrageously from state to state. Best example is the lack of standard terms required for foods: Best By: xx/xx/xxx, Expires on: xx/xx/xxxx, Use Before: xx/xx/xxxx
been looking around , just found this, but eyes are heavy, www.juiceconcentratepuree.com let me know what you think, i research more tomorrow.
Dawg

Dawg - I've not found that type of supplier (commercial bulk shippers) to be price friendly for small purchases - shipping costs seem pretty high most times due to their focus on larger orders for manufacturers of processed foods etc. BUT never hurts to check it out. I contacted one supplier a year or two ago and as I remembered the shipping was like 1/3 to 1/2 of the product price when ordering a 5 gallon pail. For me storing (Freezing 2-3 gallons would be a challenge. (Repacking it) And even just making 2 gallons of concentrate into wine, for my scale of wine making, would be rough. At a 4 to 1 that would be 8 gallons or more. We'll see. Maybe buying and planting black raspberries is what I should be doing. OR taking some of our wild black raspberries and cultivating them to get a larger number of bushes. Thankfully their silver stalks are easy to identify if I do it before the die back for the winter.

In regards to the source you and dralarms have been using - I guess it's their business what the put in their juice but I it's likely my first order will be my last unless the juice is exceptionally good. It's a shame they aren't more forthcoming with even just a simple label on the product listing contents clearly. My order hopefully will arrive this week. (2 x Half Gallons of Black Raspberry).

Here is the response I got from H... W....... - It's Vague as to the ingredients with no mention of percentages at least:
"they have sulfite in them, those three mentioned have grape juice with a natural essence as well. Our setup sheet is on our website with our recommendation, but you certainly can make smaller batches for more flavor if you desire."

What is "natural essence" ? Your guess is as good as mine.

I went to the web site Dawg quoted, What is NFC juice?

From that site:

CONVENTIONAL AND ORGANIC NFC JUICES, NOT-FROM-CONCENTRATE

Natural direct squeezed NFC fruit juices (not-from-concentrate)
⇨ Processed from conventional and organic fruits and vegetables
⇨ An extensive range of flavors
⇨ Flexible technical specifications and bulk packaging options
⇨ Bulk juices not-from-concentrate, pack sizes starting from 5 US gallon pails
⇨ Packed in pails, drums, totes, flexitanks and tanker trucks
⇨ Aseptic and frozen options
⇨ Processed and packed without additives or preservatives
⇨ Conventional or USDA NOP organic certified
⇨ Allergen-free, Non-GMO and Kosher
⇨ Suitable for a wide range of industrial applications
⇨ From suppliers complying with highest quality standards
⇨ Domestic U.S. origin or imported products
⇨ Samples available on request
⇨ Orders from pails, pallet loads and multiple truck/container loads
⇨ Industry-leading prices with customized payment options
⇨ Spot orders and long term contracts

Typically blended juices are done for consumer products when the juice would be too harsh at 100% - great example would be Cranberry juice. BUT when we are making wine. It's tough to know what's going to be the result once fermentation is done and for that reason I'd rather know the degree to which my juice concentrate has been diluted. I've mentioned this before - If I make a wine that is simply overpowering with flavor, it's not hard to dilute it with a white wine that has a very mild flavor and keep the primary fruit characteristics. On the opposite end, as weak wine.... you just can't do much other than to use it as an additive to a very strong wine.
Personally I just like to know and control what's going into my wine - before I start it. In this case the result might be great but having made a couple of batches of Black Raspberry and Blackberry wine with Wild Berries - it's going to be a shot in the dark to until the ferment is over.

Have to wait and see I guess.

I went to the web site Dawg quoted, What is NFC juice?
not a clue till @Scooter68 answered, so i'm still looking, i'm,, if not to late going to look for a farmers market, this threw a major monkey wrench in my world, mainly i use fruits and berries from scratch, but this year nothing made for me or my neighbors , living very rural has advantages till dry weather hits,,,
Dawg

not a clue till @Scooter68 living very rural has advantages till dry weather hits,,,
Dawg

Hey Dawg, I hear ya about rural living, but if you have been using this juice with good results, why fret. If it tastes good it is good right? Price is pretty good.

I have mostly been using frozen fruit from a Walmart Super Center about 24 miles from home. They just restocked blue berries so I drove into to town to get 21 lbs. That was half of what they had but I hate to hoard it from people that just like to put it on their cereal in the morning. I watch their stock online so I can put some in the freezer when they get it in. I also picked up some bananas while I was there. I figure I'll just keep stocking my freezer while I brew up the juice I ordered and see what happens.

I also got 6# of mixed berries and I'm starting some DB for the first time tonight. There's always SP and I have also been making a lot of ginger wine lately from ginger powder from Amazon and it is delicious. Lots to hold us over til something better comes along right?

Hey Dawg, I hear ya about rural living, but if you have been using this juice with good results, why fret. If it tastes good it is good right? Price is pretty good.

I have mostly been using frozen fruit from a Walmart Super Center about 24 miles from home. They just restocked blue berries so I drove into to town to get 21 lbs. That was half of what they had but I hate to hoard it from people that just like to put it on their cereal in the morning. I watch their stock online so I can put some in the freezer when they get it in. I also picked up some bananas while I was there. I figure I'll just keep stocking my freezer while I brew up the juice I ordered and see what happens.

I also got 6# of mixed berries and I'm starting some DB for the first time tonight. There's always SP and I have also been making a lot of ginger wine lately from ginger powder from Amazon and it is delicious. Lots to hold us over til something better comes along right?
yeah, your right, it was a startle though, I've never seen any blueberries for sale, i'd got some from H,W,, but never fresh or even frozen, but then again i hardly every go to town except for doctor visits ,,,, yeah i tried a DDDB variant here while back, bottled 1/3 the other 2 carboys are bulk aging, i could not help myself, i guess the ideal of a DDDB is to make a kinda lite wine, or blush, mine is very robust, an very good to me, i got close to 10 cases of skeeter pee behind my recliner, makes bulk aging other wines easy, not to mention lemon is good for many health problems, funny when you have more then you can drink ,, then i drink rarely, the doc's told me to drink 1 to 2 glasses a day, but i mainly do every other day, lol
Dawg

ng
thought about breaking my nephews neck last night, we were kicked back drinking a glass of strawberry, he wanted to know why i was on the computer while we relaxed, told him i was looking for a farmers market, at which time he said, if your'e looking for fruits and berries,,, i'll ask my friend Caleb, turns out his buddy bought 400 acres here while back that has a orchard on it, told him to talk to his buddy, i'll pay cash, wine, both.
Dawg

For an update on the Juices from Home Winery Supply, I just got the 1/2 gallon bottles I ordered. They came pretty quick and were well packaged. I got 1 each of Blueberry, Apricot, Cranberry, and Passion Fruit.

Except for the type of juice, price, and lot numbers, the labels were identical:

Makes 5 Gallons
Keep refrigerated

Contains fruit/grape juice, fruit/grape
extract & sulphur dioxide.
Main contain live active cultures

Back