Elderberry Blackberry - comments on recipe please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took the must out of the fridge yesterday to let it warm up. Prior to the cold soak it was at pH 3.53 and SG 1.064. After, 3.60 and 1.070. I wish I had a before picture, because the difference in color now is striking. Here is an after picture, much better, and no bitterness. Added another pound of sugar and pitching the yeast today.

image1.JPG

Follow up, trying to avoid being the pot calling the kettle black here...

This wine came out great. I'm very happy with elderberry to blackberry ratio and will use that again. I used 1.2g Tannin riche, backsweetened just a bit with 35g sugar/gallon to get it to 1.001, and added a bit of vanilla which also helped to smooth it out.

Stressbaby, do you ever think about oaking it? I use Hungarian oak in my blackberry and it is very good!

Stressbaby, do you ever think about oaking it? I use Hungarian oak in my blackberry and it is very good!

You prompted me to look again at my notes, and I did oak it!

1 cup of chips in the primary and then med toast American oak cubes in secondary. Sorry for that omission!

This sounds delicious. I think blackberry/elderberry is one of my favorite pairings.

I like to squeeze them about a day or 2 before I am going to rack them from the primary to let some of the gunk from squeezing them settle out, if you go gorilla on the bag you are going to get a lot of stuff out that just adds to the sediment in the secondary. WVMJ

haha
Yeah, maybe.

I usually squeeze the bag a few times throughout fermentation and then yes, squeeze the $%^@ out of it before removing it and transferring to secondary.

Latest posts

Back