Elderberries!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks to be them, keep away from the green ones, and try your best to get as many of the little stems out before you cook or ferment them. The stem leaves a nice little greenish colored glue on your bucket or carboy that is a pain in the a** to get off.

picture.php

well, it just so happens...all this talk of elderberries and surely to goodness there are some around here in good ole' west kentucky. this is what i've found and i hope my i.d. is positive as i've already stripped off 1/2 a baggy's worth and have 4 or 5 large heads waiting for confirmation from this group. it's funny, i've just never noticed them:sl
they're so unassuming...

Confirmed!!!

hubby says "well, they're oppossum grapes", rofl
thanks for the confirmation. i'm gonna try the idea of freezing and then shaking the berries out the bottom hole. i actually can't believe i'm doing this...

Once you make the wine youll find yourself making it every year no matter how you have to get them off the stem. Im having a bad year here though as they are ready to pick but eithetr I havne ad the time or my back is just in no shape to do so. Today my b ack is out and I had all the time I needed after work. :)

Once you make the wine youll find yourself making it every year no matter how you have to get them off the stem. Im having a bad year here though as they are ready to pick but eithetr I havne ad the time or my back is just in no shape to do so. Today my b ack is out and I had all the time I needed after work. :)
my hubby's been having some bad back problems, too...u see a chiropractor?

also, btw, i found another "odd" plant while looking for these elderberries.
i'll try to get a pic and i'll check the other "what is this" plant i found while picking blackberries...some thought maybe was jack in the pulpit?

picture.php

looks like a wild grape of some kind, but the leaf/foliage is not grape-like at all. any ideas?

No chiro as Im to skeptical on that. I know a few who have had luck and a few who hve been ruined by them so I stad on the high wire in between yes and no. As for that plant I have no idea.

No chiro as Im to skeptical on that. I know a few who have had luck and a few who hve been ruined by them so I stad on the high wire in between yes and no. As for that plant I have no idea.

A chiro has saved my *** several times. When they tell you, you need tio go on a maintenance program for the next 8 weeks or so and come in for treatments each week, RUN!

Just last week my wifes friend was told by a guy she went to see that she is going to have to make some life changes and he needs her AND her husband to come back in for a 2-3 hour visit and to explain whats going to have to happen going forward. Duhh it doesn't take two people to come back in for explanations of treatments and insurance. She went else where and was cured in 2 treatments.

You know those ones that advertise all the times on tv, stay away from them! Just like wines there are good ones and then there are the dry ones that make you pucker! LMAO

except a bad wine will just leave you with a bad taste in your mouth, a bad chiro can ruin your already bad back for life with irreversible damage!

except a bad wine will just leave you with a bad taste in your mouth, a bad chiro can ruin your already bad back for life with irreversible damage!
that's possible; but not likely. i've gone to a chiropractor all my life. yes, u gotta choose well, but the right one can make all the difference in ur world!

.......The stem leaves a nice little greenish colored glue on your bucket or carboy that is a pain in the a** to get off.

Rub the goo with vegetable oil and then wash. It comes right off.

I didn't try the oil yet because I didn't have that much and I thought that I could just get it off with a scotchbrite pad. Well that did get it off but gave me tenis elbow in the process. LOL

Next time I will use the oil and see how that works.

I didn't try the oil yet because I didn't have that much and I thought that I could just get it off with a scotchbrite pad. Well that did get it off but gave me tenis elbow in the process. LOL

Next time I will use the oil and see how that works.

It doesn't take much

when i use the oil, i hardly have to rub and I would be kind of leary about using a scratch pad on my primary and carboys.

Yeah i am not a firm believer in chiropractic care either. I worked physical therapy for a few years and learned that chiropractors can adjust a problem but don't focus on correcting the issue at hand - strengthening the muscles to avoid this happening in the future.

I do have SI Joint issues occasionally and i get adjusted by a PT that i used to work with.

Have you thought about physical therapy?

That green goo stuff is a nonpolar (doesnt dissolve in water) substance that is soluble in oil. No idea what it really is and none of the scientific papers seems to have looked at it to see if its something usefull, like you can make biodiesel out of it :) Some ways to reduce the level in your must is to make sure your berries are really ripe, steaming also reduces the goo, dont squeeze your fermentation bag hard, using dried elderberries. If it really bothers you that much its also easy to line your primary with a polybag and ferment everything in that and just toss it out after you transfer your wine to the secondary.

Crackedcork

Back