Elderberries!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie

Reaction score
Ok Doug,

Here are pics of elderberries that are starting to form blossoms, if go for a walk this is what you need to look for

Elderberry 004.jpg

Attachments

• Elderberry 001.jpg
    Elderberry 001.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 357
Cant wait till they are ready here again this year. Last year I got lucky I was still able to use them as they were in my freezer and the whole fridge crapped out and actually heated everything up in there and I luckily discovered this justy before everything went south. I emptied it out and lost lots of meats as I had it full and couldnt cook everything up. The temps actually got up to around 97* in there as I kept it running after I emptied it for the service man to check it out and it was still getting hotter in there.

Cant wait till they are ready here again this year. Last year I got lucky I was still able to use them as they were in my freezer and the whole fridge crapped out and actually heated everything up in there and I luckily discovered this justy before everything went south. I emptied it out and lost lots of meats as I had it full and couldnt cook everything up. The temps actually got up to around 97* in there as I kept it running after I emptied it for the service man to check it out and it was still getting hotter in there.

LOL, just remember to keep your footing when out picking and don't get run over by a car! :)

My elderberries haven't blossomed yet. They were transplanted last year. They might not at all. :(

Here in Florida they are every where on the road sides. It seems they bloom for almost two months, with the heaviest coming on right now. It's generally late June and early July before the berries are really abundant.

Here in Florida they are every where on the road sides. It seems they bloom for almost two months, with the heaviest coming on right now. It's generally late June and early July before the berries are really abundant.

LOL. you should be done with the blackberries by then so you can start to pick elderberries but I'm not sure how it is down there but the birds go crazy after them here. I'm putting an owl decoy besides the one in our back yard and the ones I see along the road, I'm picking the blossoms.

I have a small grove of elderbushes in my back yard because I love the pies,
but I can't seem to get enough before the birds get them. I like the idea of an owl decoy. going to have to get one of those.

Try getting some Cheese cloth to put over them when the berries are starting to get ripe, its pretty cheap and is what my father used to use over his blueberry bushes.

You would be surprised at how well the owl decoy works. We put it beside the cherry trees and not a bird would go in that tree, a couple would fly in and fly out just as fast. Even the rabbits would freak, we had one hop through that part to the yard and freeze for about 5 minutes then turn around and go out the way it came in. I was able to pick the cherries at my leasure.

I have a small grove of elderbushes in my back yard because I love the pies,
but I can't seem to get enough before the birds get them. I like the idea of an owl decoy. going to have to get one of those.

I've never had elberberry pie...

care to share the recipe?

Allie

make or buy crust, put elderberries and sugar maybe in there and bake! :)

:slp remind me not to eat any pie that you made.

G. my Mom would make the pie crust with lard, flour, and a tad of water, put a crust in the pan get enough elderberries to fill a 9" pie pan, she would pour about 1 cup of sugar that had a tablespoon of cornstarch mixed in and then place small tabs of butter on top, roughtly 1 tablespoon, then top with pie crust. This was pretty much her recipe for all of her fruit pies. She never measured anything, you just had to go by what looked right. Now that I am thinking about it, I have extra elderberries in the freezer, I think tomorrow I am making a pie. G. stop over and I'll share it with you, you too Wade since you don't know how to make one:i

Last year my aunt, who allowed me to rob her elderberry bush, said she had tried to make a pie and it was way too runny. Like the filling wouldn't even stay in the crust runny. Wonder what she did wrong.

-can't bake Mud

I've never had elberberry pie...

care to share the recipe?

Allie

I'd love to. It's actually quite simple.

4 c. elderberries
1 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
4 tbsp flour

mix thoroughly and put in shell

10 min. @ 450*
40 min. @ 375*

elderberries should be picked through and cleaned. (probably the same as you would prepare them for wine I suppose.)

I need to say that my pies are O.K., but pies from the friend who gave me the recipe are outstanding, so the Cook is an important part of the recipe as well.

Regards,
Steve

Do you mean you wash away all the little spiders and stink bugs before you make the pie. Heck if you leave them in you get a ful meal, and dessert.

Thanks Julie, I'll have to keep an eye out for those. Can't say I recall seeing any leaves looking like them along the path. It would be nice. I'll have to print those pics and take them with me next time.

Gotta find some elderberries this year for sure.

Latest posts

Back