Elderberries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been checking the elderberry bushes I located last year. All have buds already and there seems to be more that have sprouted from last year. Maybe I should pick some berries and bury them in various places in hopes that they grow and I can have my own little elderberry plantation on public property. I'm sure I could sneak a few in down by the borough facility. Anyone know if they would grow?

Check my thread on red currant cuttings in vinyards and fruit gardens. Cracked cork says elderberries are easy to start from cuttings. 'Good luck with this, I am just learning. My currants are going in soil tomorrow, I hope. Depends on wether or not I get to stay around here or get to go see the grandkids. Grandma will tell me what we are gonna do. Arne.

I didn't know you could do this with elderberries but read about it somewhere else on the net. So I went out in March of this spring and cut a bunch of elderberrys, just tried to cut them off a little below ground level. I stuck them in water as soon as I cut them and brought them home and just stuck them into the ground about 3-4 inches. Where I put mine is around the edge of my old cattle pen so lots of aged manure in the soil.
I would say I had about 70-80% success, they are leafing out and some are putting on flowers now. I had to keep them watered early on because we were so dry, but am real happy with my results.
BTW, I did the same thing with some blackberries and most of them took off also.
WB-out

I found another 8-10 bushes last night not to far from my home. Looks like I will be a busy boy once the berries start getting ripe. I usually head out either Saturday or Sunday morning cut the clusters then sit at home and de-berry the clusters. This process goes from the time the first clusters are ripe until there is absolutely nothing worth picking. I'm hoping for a minimum of 100 lbs this year. Last year we got 72 lbs and I have one bottle and 12 lbs of berries left to show for it. I do have a case of Elderberry Blueberry aging if you want to count that as well.

Last edited:
I rode this route home from work today and there are about 8-10 bushes, 2 of which are fairly large and the others are small to mid size. I'll be keeping a close eye on these and will check the surrounding area this weekend. If theres are around there has to be more, its just a matter of finding them.

Good find. I have a lot of wild elderberries around here along gravel county roads. I found the mother lode last year. I waited a day too long and somebody else got most of them from that spot.

This year I'm thinking about a few "Danger - Poison Elderberries" signs ::

In the last 2 days I have located 2 more plants. One I had seen last year but couldn't find it again after the flowers were off and on that looks to be a first year growth as it is very small with only a cluster or 2 on it. The first one mentioned appears to be about 6' in diameter and is about 5' tall right now. Fair number of flower clusters on now. I'll be keeping an eye on this one as well since it is on the way to the plants I picked from last year.

When I was picking elderberries for jam lol noticed they are easy to see when flowering and not when fruit is ripe... so took red ribbons tied them on the branches to mark the spot...worked for me Zoogie

When I was picking elderberries for jam lol noticed they are easy to see when flowering and not when fruit is ripe... so took red ribbons tied them on the branches to mark the spot...worked for me Zoogie

That's a great idea. I'll have to remember that.

Dan's post about me being in search of elderberry bushes made me laugh. The reason, while showing my SIL the short cut to 79 last night I found 2 more plants not previously found. One has an orange ribbon that looks very faded on it (year or 2 old probably) and the other is big without alot of flower clusters yet. I'll keep an eye on both and if noone is picking from the ribbon bush, I'll take advantage of that one as well.

Mine in the backyard are finally starting to blossom, it amazes me that you are only about 25 minutes south of me but your elderberries are about 2 weeks ahead of mine and the ones at camp are just barely forming buds.

Mine in the backyard are finally starting to blossom, it amazes me that you are only about 25 minutes south of me but your elderberries are about 2 weeks ahead of mine and the ones at camp are just barely forming buds.

I have a feeling it will be a good year. I have now doubt I'll be able to pick 100 lbs which whould be good for close to 25 gallons of elderberry wine. Yeah Baby... I can't wait to start gettign out there again.

We were out last night and we saw som bushes from last year that have just started getting buds. I think the hot weather, they are about 2 weeks early this year compared to last year. Now if we can only keep a decent supply of rain without over doing it, that would be nice.

At my sons for combo Fathers day/ Birthday cookout yesterday & my daughter mentioned that there were a bunch of Elderberries bushes growing by the fence in her yard.... Will be going up there next weekend & will check them out!! Actually, not sure if I have ever seen any growing?? Is there a way to estimate what the yeild might be & do they continuly grow & ripen new berries to be picked or is it a one time picking?
AL

At my sons for combo Fathers day/ Birthday cookout yesterday & my daughter mentioned that there were a bunch of Elderberries bushes growing by the fence in her yard.... Will be going up there next weekend & will check them out!! Actually, not sure if I have ever seen any growing?? Is there a way to estimate what the yeild might be & do they continuly grow & ripen new berries to be picked or is it a one time picking?
AL

When I was picking last year, I went out every weekend for about 4-6 weeks as the berries ripen at different stages but you want to get the ripe ones before the birds do. I generally would spend an hour between 6-7 am driving around and clipping the clusters then go home and sit on the patio with my coffee and de-berry the clusters. I found that a 1 gallon ziplock will hold between 3.75-4.5 lbs of berries.

Al, whatever you do, don't tell Doug where you found the elderberries. He IS the "elderberry nazi". LOL

Al, whatever you do, don't tell Doug where you found the elderberries. He IS the "elderberry nazi". LOL

I only look in my neck of the woods. Well, I look everywhere, but last year I didn't have to venture more than a 5 mile radius from home. I did locate a few more bushes last night on Montour Run Road down by the YMCA. They were just starting to blossom so I'll have to check them in a week or so to determine how big they actually are and maybe put a tag on them for ease in finding later.

Between the 60lbs of strawberries and the 12 lbs of elderberries from last year, I don't have much room in the freezer for much more at this point. I may have to steam the strawberries and freeze the juice to make more room. LOL

Hoping to get enough to make a 5 or 6 gal batch. Just read Luc's post on how to sort them, very helpful & interesting. Sounds like they make a very good wine!

Al

Hoping to get enough to make a 5 or 6 gal batch. Just read Luc's post on how to sort them, very helpful & interesting. Sounds like they make a very good wine!

Al

They make a wonderful wine. I use the water bucket method and it works well. I steam mine opposed to putting berries in. It takes about 10 lbs of berries for a gallong of juice but it eliminates the green goo that elderberries produce. Even though I'm steaming I still go with 3-5 lbs per gallon of finished wine, usually about 4 lbs so for a 5 gallon batch I would use between 18-20 lbs.

I steamed mine last year as well... works sooooo good. Sorting them is the real trick. Ours are not even close to blossom yet... bud heads just starting to show.
Gravel road is my spot as well... along a creek. There is some private land with hundreds on it.... the house is waaaay back in, so we don't go in to ask permission. We just sob as we drive by.
Elderberry and raspberry are amazing together!! Don't forget to make some syrup for pancakes and a homeopathic flu/cold remedy!!
We only pick once... Labor Day weekend, usually. We did it twice the first year, but it wasn't worth it. They tend to be mostly ripe at the same time here. I planted some hybrids along my garden. Wish I knew someone that would take some cuttings!
This year in my flower beds... I have elderberries popping up all over... must have been the compost we threw there. I'll have to dig those buggers up or they'll rule the world before long!!

Debbie

Latest posts

Back