Elderberries,,, a strong flavored berry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myakkagldwngr

Reaction score
I've been thinking about my elderberry from last year. I'm pretty certain I used 5 pounds per gallon and it did come out very strong flavored.
I didn't back sweeten any of it, just fermented it till it stopped.
It's actually pretty good now at a year old.
Has anybody mess around up or down with the weight of berries to see the difference it makes?

I've been thinking about my elderberry from last year. I'm pretty certain I used 5 pounds per gallon and it did come out very strong flavored.
I didn't back sweeten any of it, just fermented it till it stopped.
It's actually pretty good now at a year old.
Has anybody mess around up or down with the weight of berries to see the difference it makes?

3#/gal is what I always use for elderberry. I wouldn't want it any heavier. I'll be experimenting with elderberry juice this year. I'm planning my first juice batch to be juice from 5#/gal.

Strength of flavor is very personal, Ive made a few batches that were much higher in fruit than other people use and prefer it much better that way while others use much less and like it that way. Its like sweetening a wine, everyone has different opinions. I like a lot of flavor and am going to start making all juic wines with no water added unless I really have to so as to get the acidity down to a reasonable range and from there Ill drop the rest with Potassium Bicarbonate or Calcium Carbonate.

Latest posts

Back