Elder Flower/Socata

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodbee

Reaction score
Howdy all.
I degassed a couple of fives a little while ago and found two very different gas levels. One batch was made with 1118 Champagne yeast and the other used D-47. In racking a couple of times I have mixed up which is which. So in batch#1 I had degassed with my vac-pump back on July 11th. I pulled off quite a bit of CO2. The other batch #2 I just stirred with my long handled paddle. I didn't seem to get much gas off. Neither batch seems to be clearing very well. So today I threw the pump onto both jugs. #1 still had quite a bit of gas. I pulled about 17 inches of vac for 7-8 min.s. #2 which had not had the vac at all didn't give off enough gas to make a good fart. Can there be that much difference in the two types of yeast?
I kept the alcohol low on these two batches due to the delicate nature of the flowers 10.7%. I did use peptic enzyme. So I am wondering why it isn't clearing. There is only a tiny dusting of sediment laying on the bottom of the carboy. It was started on June 13th and has been racked twice since leaving the primary. I am not in a hurry so I will wait. But I can't understand the cloudy wine. Any help with this.
Brad

Latest posts

Back