El Dorado Pinot Noir

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgareri

Reaction score
Hi all,

My response to a post in one of the other threads got me thinking since there are others that have done El Dorado Pinot Noir. Just wanted to know what kind of Pinot Noir it comes out as - the typical Californian style that's bold or is it closer to a Burgundian style?

Regards,

Joseph

I live within 30 minutes of El Dorado County CA, and I can tell you they are not known for their Pinot Noir. It is a hot climate, and I see PN in costal, cooler climates. So, if I had to guess, I’d look for a Big PN out of that area.

I live within 30 minutes of El Dorado County CA, and I can tell you they are not known for their Pinot Noir. It is a hot climate, and I see PN in costal, cooler climates. So, if I had to guess, I’d look for a Big PN out of that area.
Agreed, where im at is literally well known for its Pinot thats pretty much the biggest grape in my AVA which is fairly limited to cool climate varietals for the most part. My AVA is Arroyo Grande AVA
Pinot,Chardonnay,Syrah,Riesling,Cabernet Franc, and we have some other smaller varietals about the craziest one in the area is Mourvedre. Which doesnt make good wine here. But the plus side is almost any bordeaux and rhone varietal will do well here. Ive got a lot of white grapes planted because of the cooler climate. Less risk of heat damage.

Thanks everyone. I like the belle glos style pinot noir - at least that's my idea of a big Pinot..

Back