Einstein’s Quantum Riddle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you heard of nuclear pasta? It is believed that, in neutron stars, various structures form that resemble different kinds of pasta at different pressures within the star. These structures start to invert at yet higher pressures, so, in a clever-if-confusing twist, these other phases are referred to as "anti-pasta." (Nothing to do with anti-neutrons.)

Here is a short description:

The pasta is made of protons and neutrons, held together by the extreme pressures. These oddball nuclei arrange themselves into weird configurations that Matt Caplan of Indiana University and his colleagues call “nuclear pasta.”1 The pasta layer lies in the inner crust, a transitional zone between a neutron star’s outer crust and core. In the top of this layer, the nuclei form blobs called “gnocchi.” Deeper down, they join together into cylindrical shapes called “spaghetti.” More pressure, and the spaghetti compresses into “lasagna”: flattish sheets of nuclear matter. Then the pasta transitions into “anti-pasta”: The sheets of lasagna form cylindrical hollows where neutrons begin leaking out, which Caplan calls “anti-spaghetti.” And finally, when the pressure is high enough, those hollows break into small bubbles, the “anti-gnocchi” phase.

Or here is the Wikipedia version: Nuclear pasta - Wikipedia

Last edited:
We note the inconsistencies, and are thereby aware that we don't yet have a full understanding. We essentially always carry the uncertainty around with us for things that have unsettled bits. We expect that the description the we presently have (which well explains a given phenomenon) will be subsumed into a better theory later.
That's probably the best explanation of the Uncertainty Principle I've ever heard. Thank you. :D

That's probably the best explanation of the Uncertainty Principle I've ever heard. Thank you. :D

I know you are kidding. But here is MY best explanation of the actual Uncertainty Principle:

Consider a bunch of waves, like if you threw a rock into a pond. If you have a long bunch (with many crests/troughs), it is hard to say where that wave is located. If you have a short bunch (with only a few crests/troughs), it is hard to say what the wavelength is.

. . . and how do the resonant wave-lengths apply in this situation? (Ooo! lol!)

Latest posts

Back