Eggshells fining agent for cider

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steven, sorry but I have never used egg whites for fining. I have read that the eggshells, dried as described, are excellent to prevent tomato blossom rot, but I digress.
As for apple wine from fresh pressed cider, pectic enzyme up front, bentonite at 6 months, and bulk aged til the 18 month time frame, it finishes perfectly clear. It takes the 18 months to smooth out and OMG at that point!!
Mike

Mike,

Do you do any racking in there or add anything else in any of that 18 month time frame?

Steve,
The apple wine was vacuum racked into carboy/growlers at SG of +/- 1.010, then fermenting dry to 0.990. Stabilized at that point. Additional vacuum rackings along the way at 60 to 90 day intervals, except when absent for the winter. Backsweetened with frozen apple juice concentrate and honey. Bentonite slurry added at this same time. This ages clear, and I mean CLEAR. I also have a 2014 cider Apple wine aging which had cleared several months ago.

Back