Egg smell?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
Made a Wine Expert Private Reserve Pinot Gris with 2 packs of yeas
lavlin
EC -1118
K1-v1116

I spoke to the company, who assured me this was fine.
Made the wine, first with a towel and then once fermentation was going, put the lid on the bucket.
I let the wine sit in the bucket for an extra week, Went to rack for the first time today, and got a strong egg smell. Not rotten, but hard boiled egg smell.
It was noticeable enough everyone in the house complained.

is this kit lost? Can it be salvaged?
Do I need to rack a lot and dose with KMeta?

In my 15 years of wine making never had this occur, how does this happen?

Attachments

• 122F43C6-4406-420F-AB02-1869536DBD91.jpeg
    122F43C6-4406-420F-AB02-1869536DBD91.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • D7108419-15CE-4969-A260-234852F64C61.jpeg
    D7108419-15CE-4969-A260-234852F64C61.jpeg
    950.2 KB · Views: 4
  • FAF2A914-A402-4529-9192-AFA5D76D69D7.jpeg
    FAF2A914-A402-4529-9192-AFA5D76D69D7.jpeg
    345.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 99C1280D-0B86-405D-9714-83AD6859FA9F.jpeg
    99C1280D-0B86-405D-9714-83AD6859FA9F.jpeg
    382.2 KB · Views: 4
Good ‘ol fashion H2S. Start with a vigorous splash rack to see if that will remedy the problem. The sooner, the better.

A splash rack is where you want to pour it out into a bigger container in a manner that you get as much splashing as possible, to hopefully let the sulfur compound gas escape.

Good ‘ol fashion H2S. Start with a vigorous splash rack to see if that will remedy the problem. The sooner, the better.

A splash rack is where you want to pour it out into a bigger container in a manner that you get as much splashing as possible, to hopefully let the sulfur compound gas escape.
I have a all in one pump that splashes against the side of the carboy.
I will give it a try

If you can, lift the carboy and glug, glug, glug, dump it into a 20 gallon pail. You usually want to protect wine against oxygen exposure, to remediate, you need to do the opposite.

If you can, lift the carboy and glug, glug, glug, dump it into a 20 gallon pail. You usually want to protect wine against oxygen exposure, to remediate, you need to do the opposite.
How many times do I need to “glug, glug, glug “?

edit- I have racked 4 times with the pump and “glugged” twice.
Ran out of time as my kid has a soccer game!
Will do this a bunch more times tomorrow.
Should I hold off on adding the KMeta?

Edit 2- I glugged into my bucket and racked with the Pump back to the carboy twice. As I racked with the pump I was swirling the wine to get air in there.
It is starting to smell better, but still had a lingering smell

Last edited:
With that many glugs you risk oxidation and losing beneficial aromatics. For persistent H2S, may want to consider a copper treatment, but be very careful with the dosing. Recommend doing it in weekly intervals till odor is gone.

With that many glugs you risk oxidation and losing beneficial aromatics. For persistent H2S, may want to consider a copper treatment, but be very careful with the dosing. Recommend doing it in weekly intervals till odor is gone.
I have read a dosing of max 1 gram per 1000 liter. How would you dose? Mix it with some water or wine and poor it in? Stir it? (more risk of oxidation) or is stirring not required? Just curious.

I have read a dosing of max 1 gram per 1000 liter. How would you dose? Mix it with some water or wine and poor it in? Stir it? (more risk of oxidation) or is stirring not required? Just curious.
I cross referenced several sources at the time, but don't recall the max dosing. The copper precipitates in the process so that's why I recommend the phased approach to minimize the copper remaining in solution. Cu is one of those micronutients but too much and it quickly becomes toxic.

I cross referenced several sources at the time, but don't recall the max dosing. The copper precipitates in the process so that's why I recommend the phased approach to minimize the copper remaining in solution. Cu is one of those micronutients but too much and it quickly becomes toxic.
Btw, I would add it in liquid form for better mixing

Due to the potential health issues, I would recommend looking up professional dosing protocols, but dissolving it in a small amount of water ensures better mixing, gentle stirring should do it.
Thanks! I was just curious. If needed some time in the future I would of course be sure about the dosing protocols. It is just that the splash racking proposed above is not always a good solution due to the oxidation risk. Interesting subject.

Latest posts

Back