Effects of the wines

Discussion in 'General Wine Making Forum' started by Kivanc, Oct 14, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Oct 14, 2019 #1

Kivanc

Kivanc

Kivanc

Unlike the commercial wines, it is seems to me that the alcohol of the wines I've made doesn't last enough to keep me drunk and I feel sleeply after I consume half of the glass. My wines have generally 13% alcohol centent. I use Grolsch type bottles to keep my wines. Am I missing something?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  2. Oct 14, 2019 #2

sour_grapes

sour_grapes

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

I'm a bit confused. You say that it seems that the alcohol "DOESN'T last long enough to keep" you drunk, but also that 1/2 glass makes you sleepy? Do you think it is more or less alcoholic than commercial wines?

3. Oct 14, 2019 #3

Kivanc

Kivanc

Kivanc

I feel that It's more alcoholic but I feel that it's effect cuts off after awhile and my total consciousness comes back again. Sorry, I mean I feel sleepy rather drunk. Don't know why I feel this way, maybe I consume half a glass.

4. Oct 14, 2019 #4

salcoco

salcoco

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker WMT Supporter

if you want to stay drunk why not drink bourbon or some other spirits with higher abv and save your efforts in making wine?

5. Oct 14, 2019 #5

Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Intheswamp

South Alabama - The Enchanted Land of Humidity
    I wonder if the wines that you've been drinking are lower ABV% and with the 13% wines you are simply getting hit with higher concentration of alcohol? Many of the low-priced "dollar store" wines are low-ABV% wines. Just a shot in the dark... :)

6. Oct 14, 2019 #6

Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Intheswamp

South Alabama - The Enchanted Land of Humidity
    Years (YEARS) ago I would get a headache when I drank a beer. I quickly found that if I drank TWO beers I didn't have the headache...problem solved. Push through the drowsiness and drink an additional 1-1/2 glasses of wine.
    :dg:d

7. Oct 14, 2019 #7

1d10t

1d10t

1d10t

stewbum

I started as a beer brewer. Beers I've brewed with Belgian yeast strains seem to have a larger affect on me given beers with the same alcohol content and I ferment with controlled temperatures. It isn't unusual for a Belgian Abbey style brew to let the temps raise well above what I would. The last time I had a Trappistes Rochefort 12 I was still feeling the effects the next day and it wasn't necessarily a pleasant feeling. Just kind of weird. Who knows what compounds the yeasts put out at higher temps along with the fusel alcohols?

8. Oct 15, 2019 #8

Mr_S_Jerusalem

Mr_S_Jerusalem

Mr_S_Jerusalem

Junior

My dad made a wine once which my mum said after one glass instantly gave her a headache.

He also made an apple wine a while ago, I distinctly remember watching the X Files and after 2 glasses my fingertips went numb.

Fascinating stuff home brew lol

9. Oct 20, 2019 #9

BernardSmith

BernardSmith

BernardSmith

Just thinking aloud here but I wonder if you make wine at higher than optimal temperatures for the strain of yeast you have chosen those yeast return the favor and produce lots of fusel alcohols. These are variations on ethanol and are very likely to give you headaches and other symptoms.

Stressbaby likes this.