Effects of the wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kivanc

Reaction score
Unlike the commercial wines, it is seems to me that the alcohol of the wines I've made doesn't last enough to keep me drunk and I feel sleeply after I consume half of the glass. My wines have generally 13% alcohol centent. I use Grolsch type bottles to keep my wines. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused. You say that it seems that the alcohol "DOESN'T last long enough to keep" you drunk, but also that 1/2 glass makes you sleepy? Do you think it is more or less alcoholic than commercial wines?

I feel that It's more alcoholic but I feel that it's effect cuts off after awhile and my total consciousness comes back again. Sorry, I mean I feel sleepy rather drunk. Don't know why I feel this way, maybe I consume half a glass.

I feel that It's more alcoholic but I feel that it's effect cuts off after awhile and my total consciousness comes back again. Sorry, I mean I feel sleepy rather drunk. Don't know why I feel this way, maybe I consume half a glass.

Years (YEARS) ago I would get a headache when I drank a beer. I quickly found that if I drank TWO beers I didn't have the headache...problem solved. Push through the drowsiness and drink an additional 1-1/2 glasses of wine.
:dg:d

I started as a beer brewer. Beers I've brewed with Belgian yeast strains seem to have a larger affect on me given beers with the same alcohol content and I ferment with controlled temperatures. It isn't unusual for a Belgian Abbey style brew to let the temps raise well above what I would. The last time I had a Trappistes Rochefort 12 I was still feeling the effects the next day and it wasn't necessarily a pleasant feeling. Just kind of weird. Who knows what compounds the yeasts put out at higher temps along with the fusel alcohols?

My dad made a wine once which my mum said after one glass instantly gave her a headache.

He also made an apple wine a while ago, I distinctly remember watching the X Files and after 2 glasses my fingertips went numb.

Fascinating stuff home brew lol

Just thinking aloud here but I wonder if you make wine at higher than optimal temperatures for the strain of yeast you have chosen those yeast return the favor and produce lots of fusel alcohols. These are variations on ethanol and are very likely to give you headaches and other symptoms.

Latest posts

Back