effective cleaning of mesh for next time?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wine newbee

Reaction score
I just did the 1st racking of my experimental paw paw wine.

Is there a tried-and-true way to make sure the mesh I kept the paw paw meat in (during the fermentation) gets thoroughly cleaned? It's pretty fragile-looking material. I've hand-washed/rinsed it a few times in detergent, but there's still some orange discoloration at some of the seams, not to mention tiny paw paw fibers here and there -- maybe too many to try to extract individually?

I thought of StarSan but -- it being an acid -- I'm not sure that's the way to go with a fabric-like material.

Thx much for any ideas, suggestions, anecdotes and/or feedback on this ....

Mitch

I would NOT recommend sand blasting. 😁

You might try drying it and then brushing with a soft brush like a toothbrush. Or wet it then try the toothbrush. Different types of soaps/cleaners could work but you need to be careful what you use. It also depends on what the mesh is made of.

the small particles will come right off when its dried, I use oxyclean to wash my buckets and fermenting bags and it brightens them right up, just rinse out well..

Thx, folks - some good common-sense answers. I thought of Oxyclean, too -- may do that as well. Don't wanna make a huge magilla out of what s/b no big deal .....

Mitch

my favorite for nylon bags from the wine toys store is to take one in the driveway with a garden hose and blast off the outside then invert for the inside.
hate to say, but I like the staining, it’s a badge of courage saying been there, done it.
like @my wine with let it dry, after which I would vacuum the fiber.

Last edited:
OK -- "nylon", it is. I couldn't drdge up that name. Too technical for me ...
As long as staining's not an issue later, I have no problem with it. Aesthetics, not my main concern.

I rinse the nylon bags with dish detergent, get all the gunk, out let dry, shake out the rest and then toss in the wash with white stuff. I've been using the same three bags for the last 15 years or so for beer, wine, jam, and honey. I think mine were ordered for honey in the first place. Before use for beer or wine, I soak for a couple minutes in Star San. NEVER had a problem.

I've got a deep double sink in my wine area. I put bags over the divider and spray with water to get off the chunks on that side, then flip it over and do the same. Then turn it inside out and repeat. Gotta watch the seams.

I have used One Step on it, and it looked like brand new. OTOH, being able to see foreign material is a good thing -- can't remove it if you can't see it.

I rinse well for gross pieces of fruit and then use oxyclean too. Then rinse well and hang on the outside clothesline. Oxy gets rid most of stain and letting a few days sun and wind gets rid of the stubborn little pieces. Worst case sunilight might shorten life of the bag but paint straining bags are pretty cheap.

Latest posts

Back