Education

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kadin

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I just stumbled upon this forum in a search for career guidance and was hoping to get a little help. I tried a search of the forums but couldn't really come up with much so hopefully its ok that I decided to make a post.

A few questions regarding education:
1. Is it best to study where you plan on eventually working or would I be better off say studying in Italy and then after graduating look for jobs in Washington?

2. What/where are the best programs?

3. Would taking a certificate program like the one at WSU be pointless if I eventually plan on getting a bachelor's degree?

Any advice on getting started in the industry would be very much appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Kadin

Hello everyone!
I just stumbled upon this forum in a search for career guidance and was hoping to get a little help. I tried a search of the forums but couldn't really come up with much so hopefully its ok that I decided to make a post.

A few questions regarding education:
1. Is it best to study where you plan on eventually working or would I be better off say studying in Italy and then after graduating look for jobs in Washington?

2. What/where are the best programs?

3. Would taking a certificate program like the one at WSU be pointless if I eventually plan on getting a bachelor's degree?

Any advice on getting started in the industry would be very much appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Kadin

Find an entry level job at a vineyard/winery you respect, learn everything you can and work your way up.

Volunteer, intern, work with as many folks as you can. As for the US, Davis is generally considered the top if you want to work in CA or the Northwest. I'm guessing you want to work/live in the Northwest.

I know a couple of very successful winemakers that did the Community College route. Washington is new enough at it that you can find anything from Davis trained to self taught. The real gig around here is knowing what you do, and knowing people.

Not sure of the programs in WA. There are some excellent programs in CA, UCD, Cal Poly SLO, Fresno State and perhaps Sonoma State. If you knew that is what you wanted to do, I'd go right into the program, but you cannot beat hands on experience. Plant grapes, make wine, work in tasting rooms, be the cellar rat for a small winery and as others have said network like crazy.

Latest posts

Back