WineXpert Eclipse Zinfandel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jc5066

Reaction score
Just picked up an Eclipse Zinfandel. Comes with skins and some oak for primary and secondary. Was thinking about adding a bit more oak in secondary. Any thoughts on adding a bit more oak?

I tend to let my zin be more fruity and have a lighter hand with the oak. Not like a cab sauvignon or super tuscan where I go all out, personal preference. Depends on what you like to drink.
Heather

Sounds like a great time to pick up two 3 gallon carboys for a side by side comparison with/without oak :)

Just picked up an Eclipse Zinfandel. Comes with skins and some oak for primary and secondary. Was thinking about adding a bit more oak in secondary. Any thoughts on adding a bit more oak?
I've made this a few times, and it only came with oak cubes for use after primary fermentation. Perhaps they have changed the formula?

Could have swore I saw a second pack of oak. After opening it all the way up you are right, it does only come with one pack.

I'm thinking I'm just going to go as directed. I've heard some really good things from a couple people on the kit. I hate to screw it up. Lol

I started my kit Jan 2014 and made two tweaks. First was 1 cup American light toast chips in the primary. Kit only had 60g. French cubes which I used in secondary for 3 months. Racked and tasted every 3-4 months. All tasting notes include "good oak and tannin". Noted bitterness at 8 months and great fruity taste at 11 months. Second tweak was adding 1/2 teaspoon Tan Rich at 11 months. I will rack and update group with tasting notes soon.

I started my kit Jan 2014 and made two tweaks. First was 1 cup American light toast chips in the primary. Kit only had 60g. French cubes which I used in secondary for 3 months. Racked and tasted every 3-4 months. All tasting notes include "good oak and tannin". Noted bitterness at 8 months and great fruity taste at 11 months. Second tweak was adding 1/2 teaspoon Tan Rich at 11 months. I will rack and update group with tasting notes soon.

Also need to note that I skip sorbate and clearing agents.

I generally don't tweak Eclipse kits. I have an Eclipse Zin that's about a year and a half and it's pretty robust as is. On the other hand I have a Brunello that I over-oaked but as time has gone on the extra oak has integrated nicely. It was kind of "oak sour" at first if you know what I mean. Chances are you can't go wrong. If you don't like your Zin at a given time, just wait a bit.

BC

I'm starting this kit sometime in June, I do plan to add oak, tanins and 1 lb of currents in primary and then add oak cubes and tanins in secondary. Kinda like Joe, "Thinking outside the box."

I just bought this kit. I have an urge to tweak it a bit. 18 batches of fruit wine, a viognier and a malbec under my belt.(I know I know, thats nothing to brag about) But this is my first kit. Despite my urge I'm thinking that tweaking wouldn't be the best move at this time. I probably will bring OG to 1.100 if is not before I pitch though.

Any updates or insights from previous makers of this kit?

Thanks

Paul

I just bought this kit. I have an urge to tweak it a bit. 18 batches of fruit wine, a viognier and a malbec under my belt.(I know I know, thats nothing to brag about) But this is my first kit. Despite my urge I'm thinking that tweaking wouldn't be the best move at this time. I probably will bring OG to 1.100 if is not before I pitch though.

Any updates or insights from previous makers of this kit?

Thanks

Paul

I think 20 batches of non-kit wine is plenty impressive! (But I am kinda a newbie still...)

I did this kit not long ago. The SG was 1.086 before adding the grape pack, and 1.102 afterwards. The only tweaks I did was to swap out the yeast for BM45, and to add a few grams of FT Tannin Rouge in primary. Mine is still clearing; have not decided if I will add some aging tannins or not yet.

I don't see a real point in resisting your urges! :D

Last edited:
This was the first kit I did (pitched 12/14/14). Used our water softened water since the guy at the LHBS said "if it tastes good, use it". Haven't done that again.

I have added 4.5 French oak spirals, on my third racking. Tastes ok, still has strong KT and Kit aroma, but not very aged yet. Lots of alcohol and oak at this point. I had 5 gallons and two bottles left after clearing. The bottle I opened to top with tastes like plastic cotton candy. The stuff in the carboy much better.

I'm going to bulk for a year then bottle.

In this instance I vote for bulk aging over bottle aging. My other kits will get bulk aged as long. My second Kit - WE Barossa Syrah is much better.

Water softener?

Sour_grapes: Thanks, after g-pack SG was 1.098 so I didn't add any sugar. Didn't make any other adjustments. Decided to let the kit speak for itself. Pitched the provided 1118 yeast. Have to look into the FT Tannin Rouge you used. What's the criteria for how much to add and why? Same for aging tannins?

Kiwisholland: Thanks for the info. That was oak spirals after the cubes included in the kit? The instructions have the wine oaked only for 8 days with provided oak cubes. Needs more? I plan on bulk aging at least a year, kit has fining agents and sorbate, should I still do these? Did you?

Kiwisholland: Thanks for the info. That was oak spirals after the cubes included in the kit? The instructions have the wine oaked only for 8 days with provided oak cubes. Needs more? I plan on bulk aging at least a year, kit has fining agents and sorbate, should I still do these? Did you?

Oh, interesting point about the oak. I did not follow the instructions. Instead, I waited to add the oak cubes until the bulk aging step, to give more contact time.

In the past, I have put oak cubes in secondary, and then recovered them upon racking to clearing, and then recovered them upon racking. However, I have decided to keep things simpler and just wait until bulk aging to add them.

I had a kinda of unique opportunity with this kit. When I made it, I found that there was about a liter of juice trapped between the bags. I called WE, and they immediately told me they were shipping another kit. I asked what to do with the existing juice, he said the trapped juice was almost certainly fine, and to go ahead and make the kit.

I made the first kit per instructions, but bulk aging a bit longer IIRC. (I'll update when I get home and check my records)

The second kit was made the same right up until bulk aging when I doubled the oak by adding medium toast Hungarian cubes to the ones that came with the kit, and left it on the cubes for much longer before clearing and bottling.

Both kits came out great, but I really like the one with the added oak more - a lot more, actually. It's smoother, but a bit bigger and more complex.

It was enough of a difference that now I increase the oak used on all of my reds.

My only caution to tweaking the Zinfandel is that it is on the lighter end of the red wine spectrum, like pinot noir, so I generally like a light hand with the oak. I tend to use what's in the package and not supplement. Zinfandel is my favorite, so I like to enjoy it's character, and worry that tweaks may mask it's beauty.

Just me....

Heather

My only caution to tweaking the Zinfandel is that it is on the lighter end of the red wine spectrum, like pinot noir, so I generally like a light hand with the oak. I tend to use what's in the package and not supplement. Zinfandel is my favorite, so I like to enjoy it's character, and worry that tweaks may mask it's beauty.

Just me....

Heather

Heather, this statement confuses me. I would have said that Zinfandel makes one of the biggest, most robust red wines there is! Zin is one of my favorites, too. :? :?

Latest posts

Back