WineXpert Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As soon as I finished racking the Riesling, I started my Stag's Leap Merlot.

Wow, this thing comes with a ton of oak. Two oak powder and three packs of oak cubes!

Gravity at 1.100. Pitched the yeast at 80F, though I debated on waiting since it most likely will ferment fast like the Riesling did, but I want it to see the full seven days on the skins and oak powder.

Xz7jwpqvEYULl9iSbDRhDNKtsA2bDthliWZfUpDZaYY90miKAoGGPQO21kiJQwluEfM9Hcmi7PPCQfkhMLmcVdfeenpa9LyrUh27NBaDezchwkgC2SCzL9OvWuMpdMZDgqQtkzxbQmD_s-m2GEwId749CiJZFiKX2FNk46D8qKsR-TmUPyBRXzZleDm8tQwR_PoP45z894UG9EY7xh01dsjTgE2mCsJMiZK0QEcV6zTwDHT2H1zZr2JFJbXGWEH3zzS6lQmD5qCBafQmGZBQTo4cItJxH4QQ2uzopIIghacTwbdGZzJ_OxKOzFChlACUQAlx10gGILjQM2tm-_eX9OzcSwwgeYf_L09UDUat_zVLMSLZQFIMSyLMP79ppTZUZEmk8Tp2hh6wfhrCIkAzajthr9iB10doJ58D10rN3Lbyp1DAPB68HNVQXTc2IrDj9RtGcQppmNVisUoNpVnMq9hD__FL7pRSinPXxEknUxr8ztGUz4-1kOKOPiVGCBf7irAMq2wu3k7M_HGXdR6me71m5j05xnfpHQkfDHZUNj5IMj-sglE_13-8d06-MLMAiu6g_cdWHgdcyQrgZA200T_xF2-JAUK9=w735-h979-no

As soon as I finished racking the Riesling, I started my Stag's Leap Merlot.

Wow, this thing comes with a ton of oak. Two oak powder and three packs of oak cubes!

Gravity at 1.100. Pitched the yeast at 80F, though I debated on waiting since it most likely will ferment fast like the Riesling did, but I want it to see the full seven days on the skins and oak powder.

Xz7jwpqvEYULl9iSbDRhDNKtsA2bDthliWZfUpDZaYY90miKAoGGPQO21kiJQwluEfM9Hcmi7PPCQfkhMLmcVdfeenpa9LyrUh27NBaDezchwkgC2SCzL9OvWuMpdMZDgqQtkzxbQmD_s-m2GEwId749CiJZFiKX2FNk46D8qKsR-TmUPyBRXzZleDm8tQwR_PoP45z894UG9EY7xh01dsjTgE2mCsJMiZK0QEcV6zTwDHT2H1zZr2JFJbXGWEH3zzS6lQmD5qCBafQmGZBQTo4cItJxH4QQ2uzopIIghacTwbdGZzJ_OxKOzFChlACUQAlx10gGILjQM2tm-_eX9OzcSwwgeYf_L09UDUat_zVLMSLZQFIMSyLMP79ppTZUZEmk8Tp2hh6wfhrCIkAzajthr9iB10doJ58D10rN3Lbyp1DAPB68HNVQXTc2IrDj9RtGcQppmNVisUoNpVnMq9hD__FL7pRSinPXxEknUxr8ztGUz4-1kOKOPiVGCBf7irAMq2wu3k7M_HGXdR6me71m5j05xnfpHQkfDHZUNj5IMj-sglE_13-8d06-MLMAiu6g_cdWHgdcyQrgZA200T_xF2-JAUK9=w735-h979-no

Do you have a basement? I'd put it in the basement to cool it a bit. Fermentation will shoot that temp up.

Do you have a basement? I'd put it in the basement to cool it a bit. Fermentation will shoot that temp up.

Nope, I'm in an apartment right now. I do keep my apartment at 72F though and I keep it in a dark closet.

I have about five foam/gel ice bricks I could probably put in the closet it's in though. The closet is small broom closet about 3'x3', those bricks should definitely be able to lower the ambient temperature of the closet.

I just stirred and measured it. It's down to 76F and the gravity is at 1.097. (started at 1.100)

Counting down to start batch #2 of the SLD Merlot. T minus 45 days...

I brought a bottle of this to work and it brought surprised looks and smiles to my co workers' faces (and a few nice compliments to boot).

Last edited:
I love this kit as well. Bulk aged mine for 5 months before bottling. Have surprisingly been able to hold off on 4 bottles that are now 14 months in the bottle. Every bottle is better than the last. I recommend this kit to everyone I know.

I love this kit as well. Bulk aged mine for 5 months before bottling. Have surprisingly been able to hold off on 4 bottles that are now 14 months in the bottle. Every bottle is better than the last. I recommend this kit to everyone I know.

I think I've got 9 bottles left of this one and it's about 15 months old. I agree with your assessment - each is better than the last.

I think I've got 9 bottles left of this one and it's about 15 months old. I agree with your assessment - each is better than the last.

Okay, I still have @Boatboy24 's bottle, but yours was just opened. I've been jonesing for a good red (been hitting the white wines pretty hard) since I've cut out beer during the week (cost savings, calorie savings).

This really has a nice oak profile. I would say it is one of the more oaked Merlot wines I've ever experienced, but not unpleasant in any way. The nose is predominately oak (wait a second, need to pour another glass...). I have to admit that I'm warming it in my hand since I put it in the fridge (is 67*F in my basement) and got into a conversation with a neighbor, so by the time I took a shower it had cooled below 55*F, which is my normal target serving temperature. It has a nice acidity (actually just a bit short of the Pinot Grigio I was just sampling, but I'm sure that has skewed my taste buds). It has nice fruit but the oak is masking that a bit (not a complaint).

This is an excellent wine and just went on my "short list" to do. This is an excellent Merlot and you did a great job with this kit. Thanks for the bottle jgm!

Oh, and I didn't decant it at all. Will try and keep some and try again tomorrow.

Double oh, almost forgot, I'm getting no kit taste from this one at all. I don't know that I could ID it as a kit in the first place.

Last edited:
Stags Leap Merlot

This was my first kit and the best. The more you age it the better it gets.

Mine was before they offered the grape skins, so I can only assume they will make it better.

It's actually pretty good after bottling. It took a lot to hold back for two years.

I hope you enjoy.

I've got a few bottles left from my first SLM, and 27 bottles from my second batch approaching a year. The third is now 8 months old and just came out of a three month barrel ride, in a carboy for a few more months. This has become one of my favorite kits, I've done it more than any other, it's a winner.

I'm going to do some merlot grape wine this fall, save the pressed skins, and do a double batch of SLM this winter.

I agree, the guys at LP are great business owners & provide a great service.

Back