WineXpert Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used cellaring and finishing tannins, Complex and Riche, around mid way of the min/max recommended range.

Last edited:
Yup... tons of sediment. I'm thinking it's all that wood dust. I think if I do that one again I'll forego the wood dust in the primary. Mine will be racked off the oak cubes towards the end of the first week of June. I'll let ya know how it's tastin': )

Yup... tons of sediment. I'm thinking it's all that wood dust. I think if I do that one again I'll forego the wood dust in the primary. Mine will be racked off the oak cubes towards the end of the first week of June. I'll let ya know how it's tastin': )

I would not recommend leaving out the wood dust. It serves a very important part, it isn't for oak taste, but to provide tannins that help color retention. You will probably regret leaving it out.

Checking in. There's another inch of sediment at the bottom of the carboy. Amazing considering how much came out with the last racking. Looking like I'll need a 1.5 of commercial merlot to top off at the next step.
I ran the goo through a strainer and got a liter of juice back. Almost filled the carboy.

Cmason1957, Thanks for the input... I'll have to look into this for sure... Thanks:)

Cmason1957, Thanks for the input... I'll have to look into this for sure... Thanks:)

When I get a wine kit I throw out the oak that came with the kit. I buy Heavy American Oak and Heavy French Oak Spirals sticks and I have more tannin than anybody can handle. It's the way I like it and...NO SEDIMENT to deal with...Just my opinion. And the color of the wine is superb as well. Not to disagree with the experts here, but the spiral sticks are the way to go.

Ugh... 1 more week to go on the oak cubes. Tough to be patient at this point...

Ugh... 1 more week to go on the oak cubes. Tough to be patient at this point...

You need to be patient for quite a while longer. We just opened one of our last six or so bottles of this, at well over two years, and it's still getting better with age. Looking back at my notes, I wouldn't start opening bottles until at least a year to 18 months, leaning closer to the 18 month mark...

Last edited:
I just had ants in my pants to do something:) Once I've got it bottled or bulk aging I'm quite patient. :)

I've got the WE Nebbiolo on deck!!! That will be next into primary. Maybe tomorrow... depends on how much beer I drink:)

I pitched the yeast for this one tonight. In a word - wow. Lots of oak in the primary and a big bag of grape skins. The smell is just incredible. There are an additional 90 gr. of oak for finishing, and two packets of chitosan.

I have extraordinarily high hopes for this project.

I'm leaving the lid loose in the primary, am going to skip the Sorbate and do some bulk aging in the carboy to finish, but otherwise am going to pretty much follow this step by step.

As always, suggestions and recommendations are welcome.
At this point you must be well along (if not finished) with your bulk aging. Why were you skipping sorbate addition? Did you keep oak cubes in carboy throughout bulk aging? Were you satisfied with final results, and/or would you do something different on your next Eclipse kit?

thanks

Just started bulk aging after letting it clear for 8 days. I don't have any finished and aged kits to be able to give a good answer to what I'd do differently. Aside from the Sorbate and bulk aging, I pretty much follow the directions.

As to the Sorbate question: I think kit makers kind of fall into two categories - those that don't think it changes the flavor of the wine and is necessary for long term aging; and those that do and don't. After a lot of reading (on this board and elsewhere), I found myself in the latter category. Since I will likely consume all of what I make in under 5 years after bottling, I didn't think it worth the risk.

Just started bulk aging after letting it clear for 8 days. I don't have any finished and aged kits to be able to give a good answer to what I'd do differently. Aside from the Sorbate and bulk aging, I pretty much follow the directions.

As to the Sorbate question: I think kit makers kind of fall into two categories - those that don't think it changes the flavor of the wine and is necessary for long term aging; and those that do and don't. After a lot of reading (on this board and elsewhere), I found myself in the latter category. Since I will likely consume all of what I make in under 5 years after bottling, I didn't think it worth the risk.
Thanks for taking the time to respond - very helpful

I didn't think sorbate had anything to do with how long a wine could be aged. It is added as an insurance policy to keep any yeast cells that happen to still be alive from reproducing and restarting fermentation if there is any sugar left in the wine or if you are going to back sweeten otherwise you can wind up with bottle bombs. Some people think that it gives the wine (especially a red wine) a bubblegum or candy like flavor. Since most reds are fermented to dry and not back sweetened there is no residual sugar to restart fermentation you don't really need the sorbate. Metabisulfite on the other hand is a preserver and will protect the wine from spoilage organisms and protect against oxidation. I just made this kit. I didn't intend to add the sorbate but wasn't thinking and added it anyway. I'm not too worried about it. I've never noticed the bubblegum taste.

I didn't think sorbate had anything to do with how long a wine could be aged. It is added as an insurance policy to keep any yeast cells that happen to still be alive from reproducing and restarting fermentation if there is any sugar left in the wine or if you are going to back sweeten otherwise you can wind up with bottle bombs. Some people think that it gives the wine (especially a red wine) a bubblegum or candy like flavor. Since most reds are fermented to dry and not back sweetened there is no residual sugar to restart fermentation you don't really need the sorbate. Metabisulfite on the other hand is a preserver and will protect the wine from spoilage organisms and protect against oxidation. I just made this kit. I didn't intend to add the sorbate but wasn't thinking and added it anyway. I'm not too worried about it. I've never noticed the bubblegum taste.

I think you're right.

I've done several kits with oak cubes. Never had a single cube sink... Not even after soaking for 6 weeks..

Back