WineXpert Eclipse Stag Leap Merlot Extended Maceration

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No at all it will smooth out, keep punching down the grape skins twice daily.

How does it aroma without the EM, when you did it last time? I always get a good aroma when I EM but not so much when I follow the box.

I don’t know.

It seems to me that Italian reds do great with them. And I like this wine a lot doing it non-EM. In the end, I just want a good wine.
Yeah, fair enough. This is of prime importance to me at the moment, as I still haven't started this kit yet either. Was hoping to do so around Christmas. I will probably go for the EM, even if it's just for the sake of simplicity. Let me know what you decide.

I have two of these showing up today or tomorrow. I plan to make them by the book, except for some extra tannins in the primary and probably while aging and maybe just a bit more light oak for long term aging.
Craig, I'm going to be starting a bunch of kits on January 2nd. Two of which are the WE SLM. What tannins are you adding and how much in primary and during aging?

Craig, I'm going to be starting a bunch of kits on January 2nd. Two of which are the WE SLM. What tannins are you adding and how much in primary and during aging?

Sorry slow in responding. Last night was our wine club Christmas Party, so I'm moving a little bit slow today. Anyway, I am doing the exact same thing as Jim above said for each kit, drop both packages of sawdust (that's really just some sacrificial tannins) and adding about 7-8 g of Tannin FT Rouge, maybe more maybe less, whatever a good heaping tablespoon gives me.

Sorry slow in responding. Last night was our wine club Christmas Party, so I'm moving a little bit slow today. Anyway, I am doing the exact same thing as Jim above said for each kit, drop both packages of sawdust (that's really just some sacrificial tannins) and adding about 7-8 g of Tannin FT Rouge, maybe more maybe less, whatever a good heaping tablespoon gives me.
Thanks for the info Craig (and Jim). I’ve never added tannins before and you don't know for 3+ years if you’ve messed it up.

Thanks for the info Craig (and Jim). I’ve never added tannins before and you don't know for 3+ years if you’ve messed it up.

Well, I take a slightly different view of starting out. Don't wait 3 years. Make them, drink them young, sure they might not be at the peak, but by golly you made that, taste it, be proud of it. Then go buy three more carboys and fill them up, let them age a bit longer, taste that young, etc. repeat until you have enough carboys and stock that you can't even think of drinking them young. But that's just me and I have a huge basement and wife who loves the journey almost as much as I do.

Invest in some 375ml bottles too... perfect for helping to extend the age of your wines.

I'm punching and stirring twice a day. The basement in the new house is relatively cool. So, my ferment is on a slow burn. Nice and foamy when I stir, though. Smells fantastic.

Latest posts

Back