WineXpert Eclipse Sonoma Dry Creek Chardonnay, to tweak or not to tweak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneStarLori

Veteran wino, newbie vintner
Reaction score
In honor of my first anniversary if winemaking, I splurged and bought myself a kit I have been looking at for some time. It's my first Eclipse kit. From what I have read, it seems to be a favorite and has all the characteristics I am looking for in a white. Dry, fruity and crisp. Most of you know I am prone to tweaking kits. I thought about oaking or battonage, but i don't really want what those offer. I guess I should trust WE on this and hope it turns out as they claim. I have read a few reviews and it seems to be a favorite.
Does anyone have any experience or opinion on this kit?

D9B784FB-2643-427C-B409-C382E4F46C18.jpg

I made this one about 5 months ago now. I did a yeast swap and then once cleared I split into 3G Carboys for 3 mo bulk aging. I added 1.5 oz of light toast Hungarian cubes to one of the boys and the other was Au-natural. I have tasted my splits and both are very very good. Going to be hard to say which one I like more until I have more data if you know what I mean...... :)

Going to be hard to say which one I like more until I have more data if you know what I mean...... :)

Research is a very important component of our hobby. :)

I am on the fence about oaking. I DO like my oak. Splitting is a good idea. My fear is what if I decide I prefer the un-oaked after a year? Then I only have 1/2 as many bottles of the 'good' stuff. I guess the remedy for that would be to make another full batch. (oh darn).

Here's was/is my plan, I'm at the end of 3rd month of battonage and using 2z AM untoasted and 1z med FR oak chips with this same kit. Now down to stirring once every 2 weeks until end of Sept., then planning to rack off lees. Samples have been fruity, dry and med-bodied, not much oak coming through,(not quite Butternut yet) too spritzy. Hoping all the stirring over the last 3 months would help some with degassing, actually had a volcano during one battonage session, so definitely needs vac-rack degassing to glass then tasting notes should come through. I've only added 1/4 tsp KMS + another 1/8 tsp most recently. After racking will decide on more oak and maybe skipping the finings before bottling end of year. Oh yeah, I switched out with D47 yeast on a ice bath during fermentation.

Wow Bacci, it sounds like you have done your homework and really controlled the process. I did consider battonage but I have never done it before. Well, maybe a psudeo attempt on a lower end kit but I was not home much for the first several weeks, so I aborted.
After doing some further research it seems that cooler temps are a must. (pun intended ;)). I live in south TX and at this time of year keeping it cool is not an option unless I modify the spare refrigerator. Maybe not a bad idea!

You said you used D47. I know that in itself will render more body and sweetness. That might be a good easy option to give it just a little more body.

I would love to know how this plays out for you. It sounds like your samples have been close to what it's characteristics should be.

If you're looking to keep the temperatures relatively cool, which I think really helps a white wine out, you can always borrow some ideas from homebrewing where temperature control is critical. You could setup a 'swamp cooler' or even get an insulated fermentation bag (I have the Cool Brewing bag, and it works very well even in the 90+ degree heat of NC summers).

I once did a little experiment making hard cider. One batch was allowed to ferment at room temperature and the other was deliberately ket near 60 degrees. The bath fermented at lower temperature was distinctly better.

Ok, I think I have a solution. Thanks to your suggestions, I started thinking about how to do this without spending money. I came up with a home made brew bag/swamp cooler.
I have an unreasonable amount of cooler bags so I found a heavy one that I rarely use. I put the primary in this then placed it on my dolly. I added 2 frozen bottles of drinking water, one on each side then used clamps to tighten the sides. Since this is in kitchen, I don't really have to worry about them melting too quick. If it seems to melt too fast, I have a roll of foil insulation I can add to the top area.
I will check the temp every 8 hours and try to keep it at about 68º. Do you think is is low enough or should I aim for 65º?

422091DC-D87C-4242-9A3D-519D76A9D9E6.jpg

I'd go 65 or even as low as 60. It could take a couple weeks, but I think it'll be worth the wait. I plan on trying something similar with my next white wine.

Ok. I'll add more ice bottles. I broke my floating thermometer so I'll have find an easy alternative to keep tabs on it.

Very creative, and super frugal. I don't know that I have any of those insulated cooler bags, but it's got me thinking, maybe my fermenters will fit in my camp cooler.

For temperature, perhaps you want to get an infrared thermometer? (Kinda shaped like a gun, and you point it, pull the trigger and it tells you the temp) I bought a cheap one on line for $ 20 or something to help when making pizzas, but I've been using it for checking my fermentation and bulk storage temps. It's great and doesn't need to be sanitized. One less thing to worry about.

Best, Fran.

Fran, I've never heard of those but that sounds like a perfect solution. I can sure use one of the fury oven too. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my iPhone

fruit for thought

here's something to think about QAa23,YEAST,great for a whites one cup of toast oak, in the primary what gives chardonnay it's true structure, not to complex and not understated, don't worry so much about cold stabilization ,keep it at or around 68 /72 degrees and as always stay true to your own process.

12 cup american oak cubes.jpg

Don't know yet if I should have fermented this Chard kit on some Fr Oak cubes or doing the post oak will come through like I want, but D47 worked really well for me at around 59/65 degrees on my last RJS Cru Select German Gerwuzt, a very noticeable difference from previously making this kit. One of my favs. I think this Chard is going to be wonderful whatever you do to with regards to oak.

The kit is great both with and without oak. I've made 6 different Chardonnay kits and this one always comes out on top in several blind tastings. Only caveat is the kit needs at least 18 months of aging.

Joe, for my house, 68-70 IS cold stabilization. :) I realized I have nothing but about 1/2cup of American light toast on hand. I can't even smell the 'wood' anymore because it's been open for at least 6 months. I have fresh American med toast being delivered tomorrow (sat) I hope. I'll add that to the primary and just try to keep it cooler than usual.
As for the yeast... Well, I got so excited about making my swamp cooler, when I finished, I pitched the EC-118 that came within the kit with our even thinking what I was doing. dang it!!!

I got the oak in today and put 1/2 cup of med toast american cubes. The temp is staying cooler than I thought. It was at 63º. I noticed when I went to the chest freezer to retrieve new frozen water bottles, it wasn't freezing. I had suspected that yesterday. Well it's only 16 years old so I guess it's time for a new one.
Now as luck would have it, we found a 12lb. brisket in the bottom. Still frozen. Hmmm... I bet that would make a nice way to keep the swamp cooler cold and thaw it slowly at the same time.
Guess we'll be smokin' a brisket for Labor day. :)

78813B6F-11DC-467C-A0F5-CC9B2DECE736.jpg

I just saw a commercial for this last night:

The Ronco combination fermentation cooler and food defroster. Is slices, dices, and boy does it catch fish!

How did the brisket turn out? The Chard looks lovely.

Latest posts

Back