WineXpert Eclipse Napa Valley Stags Leap District Merlot w/ Grape Skins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may have had the issue from stirring quite a bit during its time in the primary.

I'm pretty new to this. Only 8 or 9 batches of experience which ain't much. I stirred this a lot more during it's time in the primary. I'm thinking that has contributed to the volume of lees... Just my rather uneducated guess.

I'm pretty new to this. Only 8 or 9 batches of experience which ain't much. I stirred this a lot more during it's time in the primary. I'm thinking that has contributed to the volume of lees... Just my rather uneducated guess.

Unfortunately, I didn't write it down in my notes, so I'm not 100% certain. But if I recall correctly, I had a lot of fluffy lees in mine as well. It was this batch, or maybe one possible other.

Just racked mine from the primary tonight. Lees seemed pretty normal. Use the EC1118 that came with the kit. The lees looked pretty normal to me. Might lave been a slightly thicker layer than normal but then the kit came with two big bags of oak shavings. The depth of my lees seemed about right for the lees plus that much oak. Just started a Vintners Reserve Merlot at same time. Use what was left of the skins from the Eclipse and added them to the VR. Don't know if there is much goodie left in the skins at this point but thought it would make an interesting experiment. The VR kit came with Red Star Premier Cuvée yeast. First one of those I've seen in awhile.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I am planning to start mine this weekend!

Scram, what yeast did you use? I am given to understand that the lees from different yeasts tend to be more or less compact than each other.

Actually, let me ask the group: What yeast would you pick for this wine? I was a bit surprised, upon checking my "normal" sources (namely, MoreWine and Lalvin/Scott) that there are few yeasts that are recommended in particular for Merlot. I have the following available: RC212, BM45, D254, and SYR. I have decided NOT to wait to order one of the few Merlot-specific yeasts (viz., BDX or D80), but to go with one of the four above. I am leaning towards D254, but would love to hear any thoughts from the group.

Thanks,

I used MT on mine, but I just pressed the skins yesterday so it is too early to tell. I did note that it seemed to really deplete the grape pack as I had less "stuff' left over after pressing than usual. I used SYR on the 2014 Merlot grapes, but still too early on that one. I think they will all do a fine job, but my personal taste is that I don't really like RC-212 that much.

I used d254 on Zin and Cab Franc last year, fermented great. I've only racked the barrels once so far and I would say that the lees were silty fine.

Latest posts

Back