WineXpert Eclipse kits only 16L Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Putterrr

Reaction score
I just started an eclipse shiraz kit and was surpised that it was only 16L of juice and 2L of grape skins (they also only had a muslin small bag that barely held the skins). I never checked when I made their Selections Intl with skins but I would assume they are also 16 and 2.

The RJS winery series are also 16 and 2.

The En Primeur only have dried skins, but at least they are 18L of juice.

cheers

I believe you are correct with the exception of the Pinot Noir and the whites. Pretty sure they are 18L.

I believe you are correct with the exception of the Pinot Noir and the whites. Pretty sure they are 18L.

You are right, joshs. I have done the Eclipse Riesling and Pinot Noir and they both were 18L of Juice. It appears those with Grape Skins are 16L of juice and add 2L grape packs.

I have always found the muslin bags quite adequate. In fact I often add the oak chips in with the grape pack. I just started the Eclipse Cabernet last night and it worked fine. Perhaps you got an odd bag in that kit. And yes, they are 16+2.

I have always found the muslin bags quite adequate. In fact I often add the oak chips in with the grape pack. I just started the Eclipse Cabernet last night and it worked fine. Perhaps you got an odd bag in that kit. And yes, they are 16+2.

I do the same thing.
I also had a 16L WE kit (forget which one), but had oak dust which was added at primary, I added this into the bag to avoid having to clog up my racking cane!

I think the WE Pinot Noir is 18L of juice but no grape pack.

Anyone would expect to see the WE Eclipse with 18+2 being a more pricey kit than its lower kit.....

Guess I should have been clearer. I was referring to the reds with a grape pack. Reds without and whites are indeed 18L. Same is true for the winery series.

Tony - perhaps you are right with the odd size bag. I have made many kits with the wet skins and they all had the bigger bag. I just checked my selection intl brunello and it had the big bag. Next time i will check the kit at time of purchase to see if it has the correct bag. If not, they can give me a big one or keep the kit.

cheers

My Shiraz is 7 months young at this point, just racked it and sampled. Its going to be very good :) yum yum

I would think that if the Eclipse Kits had 18L of juice plus 2L of skins we would pay about $30 more for the kit :-(

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

The RJS winery series are also 16 and 2.

How do you know this? I can't say I've measured the bag, but it says 18L right on the package. I've done quite a few winery series kits and the package is much larger than a Cru Select 16L kit.

How do you know this? I can't say I've measured the bag, but it says 18L right on the package. I've done quite a few winery series kits and the package is much larger than a Cru Select 16L kit.

I don't remember when I made my Super Tuscan but if you say that the box says 18L it is most likely 16L juice plus 2L grape skins pack.

I don't remember when I made my Super Tuscan but if you say that the box says 18L it is most likely 16L juice plus 2L grape skins pack.

I really don't think so. The Winery Series come with 2 jars of wet skins... which might add up to something close to a liter. No way is it 2 liters. I'll send RJS an email and find out for sure.

Thanks Geronimo.
I contacted my online retailer about the WE SI and Eclipse series and got this reply to my surprise:

"The International with Skins Series is the exact equivalent of the Eclipse Series. They both come with 18 L of juice and a pack of grape skins."

Can someone else confirm this????

Thanks Geronimo.

"The International with Skins Series is the exact equivalent of the Eclipse Series. They both come with 18 L of juice and a pack of grape skins."

Can someone else confirm this????

Bull Shoot!

my online retailer is very knowledgeable and I replied to confirm this, here's what they just said:

"The international with skins series replaced the Crushendo series which came with skins and was higher than the then Estate Series (now Eclipse Series) on price and quality. Winexpert had some issues with stability of the grape skin pack and discontinued the series for about 2 years. When they brought it back in about a year or two ago, they priced it between the medium range Selection Series 16 L and the Eclipse series I think so that they could recapture that side of the market after a lot of unhappy customers with the problems of the Crushendo series. I have always assumed that they would increase the International with skins series up to the level of the Eclipse series eventually but they haven’t done so yet. So I’m not complaining. They are incredible for their price.

No in regards to volume of juice, they are 18 L of juice plus the grape skin pack.
"

Tony, you don't agree?

I don't believe that they are 18 ltr of juice PLUS the grape pack. I always have to add 7 ltr of water to get the juice up to my 23 ltr mark on my fermenter then I add the grape pack. If it's really 18 ltr of juice in the Eclipse kits I am adding too much water. I wish I had an eclipse kit still in the box to weigh.

I don't make WE kits, so I have no comment regarding the accuracy of their advertised juice content.

Have you measured the winery series to be really 18L of juice plus the skins?
How much water (liters) you add to get to the 6gal mark in your fermenter?

Back