WineXpert Eclipse Kits and Albumex Bentonite for Compact Lees

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Putterrr

Reaction score
I was given different bentonite from a friend to try on my Eclipse kits due the huge amount of sediment in the primary. The lees amount may be the same as a winery series kit but the problem is it doesn't settle on the bottom very well. The sludge layer is usually 2+ inches thick which makes racking a real pain in the ..... I used 50g of the Albumex Bentonite which is calcium based. Says it forms a very compact lees bed so you lose less wine. I did not use it on an Eclipse kit yet but instead added it to my Fortitude LE. I was told that they are the same as eclipse kits but cheaper. Well I'm pleased to say that the stuff worked great. Racking was normal with the lees staying on the bottom where it belongs. I still put the extra in a bottle for further settling but is does look like I'm not going to get more the 2 cups from that.

So if you like doing the Eclipse and LE kits with grape skins, I suggest you give it a try. I will update this after I try it on an actual Eclipse kit but that might be 2-3 months from now.

The stuff was from MoreWine

cheers

Latest posts

Back