WineXpert Eclipse Kit Mfg Date

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoSnob

Reaction score
After the big intro, I decided to try a new Winexpert Eclipse Columbia Valley Washington Riesling. I bought it online from the Florida dealer. Yes, I know the skins are better with the big reds but I have two reds aging in carboy and am ready for a white. I haven't opened it yet so I don't know if this kit includes skins or not.

The date code indicates it was mfgd on the 44th day of 2012. I find that interesting since I thought the Eclipse line did not hit the market until Oct. 2012. Surely, this did not sit around from February until December when I bought it.

My cynical side wonders if this is just an old Selection Estate kit issued in the new Eclipse box. Please tell me that's not the case.

NS

Never Mind!

Mea culpa!
I mis-read the date code. It was the 277th day of 2012 which would be as expected for early production of kits released in Oct. or Nov. 2012.
NS

I wouldn't expect a white to have skins but it will be interesting to see if it has two yeasts - I understand that these kits have two different yeasts ( 1118 and 1116) that are both to be used - not sure if this is all kits or just some.

"My cynical side wonders if this is just an old Selection Estate kit issued in the new Eclipse box. Please tell me that's not the case."

Why are ye fearful, o ye of little faith? :)

I believe I read somewhere that the Eclipse line of whites are 18L as opposed to the Estate line, which were 16L.

I believe I read somewhere that the Eclipse line of whites are 18L as opposed to the Estate line, which were 16L.

I made the SE Columbia Valley Washington Riesling in 2011. Its instructions, like those of the new Eclipse, indicate that it is to be topped up to 6 gal or 23L. And, yes, the Eclipse box says it is 18L. Not sure how much volume the old SE had in juice.

NS

I wouldn't expect a white to have skins but it will be interesting to see if it has two yeasts - I understand that these kits have two different yeasts ( 1118 and 1116) that are both to be used - not sure if this is all kits or just some.

My SE Washington Valley Riesling had S. bayanas yeast. My new Eclipse Riesling has one package of K1-V1116. I've also read that some Eclipse kits have two packages of different yeast, perhaps that's just the Eclipse reds.

Incidentally, the other ingredients of this Eclipse Riesling kit appear identical to that of the old SE Riesling (same bentonite, K-Meta, sorbate, chitosan, and susse reserve juice bag).

There are only slight differences in the instructions. The new instructions have the new name of course. And they recommend a warmer fermentation temperature (72-75F vs. 65-75F for the SE). In addition, in the stabilizing and clearing step, the Eclipse kit notes that after addition of the susse reserve, the SG should be between 0.998 and 1.007 while the old SE noted range of 0.998 to 1.005, a minor difference to be sure.

It's not apparent that there's any substantial difference in the two kits. The juice/concentrate mix could have been varied or it could have been sourced differently. The proof will be in the drinking. I was very pleased with the old SE Riesling; it was a pretty early drinker.

NS

My SE Washington Valley Riesling had S. bayanas yeast. My new Eclipse Riesling has one package of K1-V1116. I've also read that some Eclipse kits have two packages of different yeast, perhaps that's just the Eclipse reds.

Incidentally, the other ingredients of this Eclipse Riesling kit appear identical to that of the old SE Riesling (same bentonite, K-Meta, sorbate, chitosan, and susse reserve juice bag).

There are only slight differences in the instructions. The new instructions have the new name of course. And they recommend a warmer fermentation temperature (72-75F vs. 65-75F for the SE). In addition, in the stabilizing and clearing step, the Eclipse kit notes that after addition of the susse reserve, the SG should be between 0.998 and 1.007 while the old SE noted range of 0.998 to 1.005, a minor difference to be sure.

It's not apparent that there's any substantial difference in the two kits. The juice/concentrate mix could have been varied or it could have been sourced differently. The proof will be in the drinking. I was very pleased with the old SE Riesling; it was a pretty early drinker.

NS

I thinking about trying the Eclipse WA Riesling, is it more off dry or closer to sweet? How does it taste?

I just racked it from secondary fermentation so it's too early to tell. I still have a few bottles of the old WE SE Riesling so it will be interesting to compare them.

NS

I just completed step #2 on the WE Eclipse OV Zinn. There was only one yeast packet I believe. (I'm writing from work and don't have my notes in front of me.) I was a little challenged with the temp requirement of 74 degrees. In my part of PA it has been around 20 degrees for the past week or so. I had to put the kit in a heated room to maintain the temp. The kit will now sit in the work area at a cool 62 degrees for the balance of steps.

I took a taste after completing step #2; I'll tell you if it wasn't for the cloudiness, I would start drinking it now. It has a full body, smooth taste with a strong abv. I don't know if I will let this sit for two years.

If it continues to improve, I will stick with the ecplise brand.

Now, I'm a little annoyed with squeezing the skins. Any suggestions on maximizing the juice and reducing the mess? I would appriciate your comments.

Thanks and stay warm.

Ron

I stir two to three times a day and when I do, I just press the bag against the side of the primary with the spoon a few times. Before transferring to secondary, I do squeeze by hand, but that's the only time.

Latest posts

Back