WineXpert Eclipse Chardonnay Yeast Recommendatio

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinodawg

Junior
Reaction score
I'm starting this kit in the next week. I've made it a couple of times before using the standard yeast that comes with the kit - EC-1118. I have been pleased with the outcome but would like to experiment with other yeast options. Any recommendations? I would love to find a way to get closer to the buttery taste that my wife loves in her favorite wine. But, that may not be possible with a kit.

I'm starting this kit in the next week. I've made it a couple of times before using the standard yeast that comes with the kit - EC-1118. I have been pleased with the outcome but would like to experiment with other yeast options. Any recommendations? I would love to find a way to get closer to the buttery taste that my wife loves in her favorite wine. But, that may not be possible with a kit.

A bit of oak in bulk aging?

A couple of months on oak cubes will do the trick.

"Chardonnay tastes buttery when it’s oak aged. An alcohol ester comes from the oak (vanillan) and adds the vanilla-like flavor and the creamy texture popular in many French and American chardonnays. " Wine folly

My recipe this year was D47 yeast, Beta MLB, with a touch of oak. Not a butter bomb, but enough diecetyl production to give it a nice buttery taste. It is important to arrest MLB with SO2 at the conclusion of malo, to lock in the diecetyl. It turned out so good, We will be repeating it again this year.

D47: A vigorous white wine yeast that will leave a wine very full bodied with enhanced mouthfeel. Accentuates varietal character and contributes ripe tropical fruit and citrus notes. Recommended for Chardonnay and Rose as well as mead, when nutrients are supplemented. Whites, rosé, mead. Temperature range: 59° - 68° F (15° - 20° C). Alcohol Tolerance: 14%.

Beta: Enhances berry fruit in co-inoculation, high diacetyl producer in sequential inoculation

Last edited:
I used D47 for my last batches of Chardonnay's and Sauvignon Blanc - Still in progress so can't comment too much other than I feel good about it.

I see that mentioned about adding KMETA to stop MLF - Is this something that can restart (in the bottle for instance or well into bulk ageing) when sulfite levels drop below a certain level - or age of wine?

Thanks and Cheers!
-johann

Really not stopping mlf; as I wait for the bacteria to consume all the malic acid, but immediately following that, I hit it hard with SO2. The bacteria will start consuming the diacetyl as soon as it is done with the malic acid. MLB will not be active in an environment with sufficient SO2.

Latest posts

Back